Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to install Lubuntu on an old laptop. Installation gets stuck on the "Preparing

Beans

Trying to install Lubuntu on an old laptop. Installation gets stuck on the "Preparing

Hello I acquired an old Toshiba-Satellite A-100 laptop with Windows XP on it, the computer is pretty much worthless with XP, but I wish to extend its life by removing windows entirely and starting over with Lubuntu. I used "Startup Disk Creator" on my other PC with Ubuntu Studio to create a USB installer.

I was able to boot Lubuntu from the USB stick and everything seems fine, but when I go to actually install it it just hangs on the "Preparing to install Lubuntu" screen. This is the screen where you choose whether or not to Download updates and Install third-party software. When I click continue it just loads and loads and loads to no avail. I haven't waited for more than 15 minutes before, but I don't think that it should take that long. I have also tried to uncheck the updates and software, and it does the same thing.

Have any of you had this problem before? I am admittedly a noob, so any advice would be appreciated.
    I should also add that I also checked the disc for defects and it said that there was none.

EDIT: I waited for 30 minutes and finally I was able to continue, but shortly after I clicked to erase the hard disk and install Lubuntu it told me that the installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:
    [Errno 5] Input/output error. So I almost made some progress, but have a NEW problem, surely I should be able to fix this one as well.
    Last edited by mateoamero; October 16th, 2017 at 11:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Trying to install Lubuntu on an old laptop. Installation gets stuck on the "Prepa

Hello!

Please use the default font and color unless you want to draw attention to a very specific part of your post.

Thanks!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trying to install Lubuntu on an old laptop. Installation gets stuck on the "Prepa

How much RAM is there? Maybe it is not enough for the installer to work.

If less than 1 GB RAM, it is better to use a Lubuntu alternate iso file instead of a Lubuntu desktop iso file.

If less than 512 GB RAM, you may be able to install Lubuntu, but it will be difficult to use the computer for typical tasks like browsing the internet, because many modern web pages need a lot of RAM to work well.

An alterntive is to try to find [second hand] RAM memory sticks that match the computer and increase RAM to at least 1 GB.

You can try to use a linux distro with an ultra light foot-print, for example Puppy Linux or Tiny Core.

See this link for more tips: Old hardware brought back to life

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello there! I am a noob myself

Luckily I have experience reviving a laptop from 2004 with lubuntu.

It would be helpful as the person said above to know the specs of your machine

I have to say that my experience with lubuntu was mixed, but that was probably bc of the severe limitations of my HP Compaq nc 8230..
    40Gb HDD
    512mb ram
    intel pentium m

Beans

I thought I fixed the problem when I got past the Preparing to Install page, but I have not been successful in getting past the Errno 5 during the actual installation. I have tried both Lubuntu and Linux mint, and had the same Errno 5 / installer crash. ... I have also tried the lubuntu alernate ISO and got a similar error during the installation. So I am thinking that maybe the hard drive may acquired some damage over the years. What do you guys think?

Specs according to Toshiba website are:
    CPU: 2.00 GHz
    RAM: 1 GB DDR2 667
    HDD: 120 GB 5400 RPM
    Video: 256 MB GeForce Go 7600

Beans
    Hidden!

There may be problems with the nvidia geforce graphics card.

Please describe in detail how it fails and the full error output.

Beans

I just tried the alternate ISO one more, it failed during the install and told me to check /var/log/syslog so I did, and it says:

Sub-process /usr/vin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    error: exiting on error base-installer/kernel/failed-install
    WARNING **: Configuring 'bootstrap-base' failed with error code 1
    WARNING **: Menu item 'bootstrap-base' failed.
    INFO: Modifying debconf priority liimit from 'high' to 'medium'
    debconf: Setting debconf/priority to medium

Beans
    Hidden!

This seems to be an error that is beyond my experience.

I hope someone else will recognize it and help you.

Beans

Dang well thanks anyways! I will scour through google now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mateoamero View Post
    [Errno 5] Input/output error.
    This means a hard disk error. I wouldn't store important data here but you might be able to install the operative system.

I suggest that you do a live boot without installing. Here you partition your hard disk in a way that the first say 20 GB are unused. The partitions to which you install should begin after the 20 GB mark.

Are you able to install now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast