Thread: How do I get sound to work on Asus Transformer T100 with Ubuntu 16.04?

Beans

How do I get sound to work on Asus Transformer T100 with Ubuntu 16.04?

Hi,

I've been following the instructions for installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (kernel: 4.10.0-37) onto my old Transformer T100 (model: T100TA-DK002H) found here: http://www.jfwhome.com/2016/01/04/la...e-asus-t100ta/

The system boots, and a full apt-get upgrade has run fine. Everything (that I care about) works, except for the sound. In the main UI for Sound settings, it lists "Output -> Play sound through" with "Dummy Output".

Following the instructions, when I run the below command, I get the following output:

Code:
    > sudo alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore

No state is present for card bytcrrt5640
    Found hardware: "bytcr-rt5640" "" "" "" ""
    Hardware is initialized using a generic method
    No state is present for card bytcrrt5640
    The original post (http://www.jfwhome.com/2014/03/07/pe...mer-book-t100/) talks about pulling down Intel firmware files from ChromiumOS and putting them in the system directories. However in 16.04 it appears these files are already present, so I don't want to go overwriting them unnecessarily.

There are various posts around the web about how to get this to work, but they all vary in model and Ubuntu version, so I don't know which instructions to follow.

Does anybody know which files are needed to get Ubuntu 16.04 to work on the specific model of sound device on this tablet?

Regards,
    Rob.

Beans

Re: How do I get sound to work on Asus Transformer T100 with Ubuntu 16.04?

Okay, got this working. After a bit of fiddling around, I discovered that the alsa ucm folders for this particular device were missing from the Ubuntu install. Firmware drivers were already correct.

Thanks to a post here: https://plus.google.com/117678584843...ts/Z47kmVKe13K

All I needed to do was:

• download the UCM files,
    • copy the two folders for the sound device (as indicated by the linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh script, also referenced in that post) to the ucm folder (see below)
    • delete the state file at /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
    • reboot

Code:
    sudo cp -vrf UCM-master/bytcr-rt5640 /usr/share/alsa/ucm
    sudo cp -vrf UCM-master/chtrt5645 /usr/share/alsa/ucm

Beans

Thanks a lot ! Worked for me on my T100TA with Lubuntu 18.04

Beans

Thanks, @peridian! This got the sound working on my Acer Chromebook CB3-131.

Beans

Where do you download the UCM files from?