Thread: Ubuntu support sites

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Ubuntu support sites

Hi Ubuntu community, I've been around for some time and the last years have got involved with the community. I would to discuss the situatoin between Ask Ubuntu and Ubuntu Forums.

My penny: A forums UI is suited for long posts and that translated is good for troubleshooting and complex problems like more than one variable to a solution. A Q&A site ir more suited for a simple question and an answer like: Where is the button for this action? in a complex settings program like CompizConfig. Anyone can read documentation and get confused and then, simple question simple answer. So I've been thinking that in the case of troubleshooting I should refer users to Ubuntu forums from AU.

I wanted to share this because users should not have to suffer a bad UI because it is designed for another use case and in the first place the design done for this two sites should be appreciated and understood in ti's own nature. And having to make an account in either site shoudln't be though as something bad, having an account on any of the two is a good thing and doing so is not a problem. It is a solution to different problems.

I think all this because I own what I offer to others through any site and this is the best way for those cases.

Why I want to discuss is why The forums or AU better for either Troubleshooting of Q&A so maybe you may understand me in my way of thinking.
    i5-480M (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 cache) 8GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu support sites

Thread moved to The Cafe for a better fit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

What you said makes sense.
    Personally, when I am trying to get an answer to a technical problem, I search as many relevant websites as I can, regardless of what type they are.
    I find that the Q & A sites are usually a lot less professional and filled with exactly the type of irrelevant stuff they try to censor out. However, they usually have some useful extra info, so I often archive those answers to help me when I find the REAL answer on more technical discussion or article websites.

I find that the most important thing is to know how to use search engines well and to not rely upon the mainstream search engines too much. I don't use Google anymore, for example. The more popular the search engine, the greater the eventual tendency for them to lead people to advertisements instead of results. It's been that way ever since Lycos.com days.
    May Peace Prevail for Life in all Realms of Creation --Masahisa Goi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

@yoshii

All I'm going to say about Q&A sites is: We all have to learn.

Also, please tell us some search engines I still use popular the popular ones.
    Last edited by checoimg; October 18th, 2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: feedback

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by checoimg View Post
    @yoshii

All I'm going to say about Q&A sites is: We all have to learn.

Also, please PM me some search engines I still use popular the popular ones.
    Please do not solicit help via PM. Information shared by PM will not be accessible to other members or to visitors to the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Please do not solicit help via PM. Information shared by PM will not be accessible to other members or to visitors to the forums.

Ok, I thought that would be promoting a product

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Google I think is king, but 1 other good search engine is duckduckgo. I am just thankful that there are so many wizards on ubuntuforums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just as an example here is my custom google-search address that I use a great deal.
    https://www.google.co.uk/cse/publicu...00:ukjniuf1wao

Anyone can create their own similar custom search by going to google at https://cse.google.co.uk/cse/all and setting up whatever is wanted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by checoimg View Post
    So I've been thinking that in the case of troubleshooting I should refer users to Ubuntu forums from AU.
    I find the UF format much better for complex questions, troubleshooting, and generally teaching users how to fish.
    I find UF to be a friendlier, more welcoming experience.
    AU is great for the volume of simple questions.

I think referring an AU question that can be more appropriately handled in UF is a wise thing to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

both are using same SSO.

for short questions Ask Ubuntu might be better format. There are also a couple of good tutorials or suggestions posted there.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla