Thread: trying to install skypeforlinux-64.deb

Beans

trying to install skypeforlinux-64.deb

I dl skypeforlinux-64.deb into my /home/tom/Downloads folder. from ms site, beta?
    I opened a terminal.
    sudo apt -get update
    sudo apt -get upgrade
    because attempt to do skype said dependancies probs, stuff needed but not here...

sudo dpkg -i skypeforlinux-64.deb
    lots of things happened, more than before I did update/upgrade.
    seemed to terminate without error.

now, where do I go to get it and use it?
    I connected my camera, went to ubuntu software, located cheese app, launched and cam works ok.
    Looked in ubuntu software, searched, no skype.

so, if I did the sudo stuff correctly, where is the skypeforlinux-64 app located, and how to I launch it?
    or.... if I didn't actually install it, what did I do wrong, what do I do to make it right...?
    thanks, st
    (instructions I got from askubuntu....)

Got it, thanks. used gdebi, it did its magic, but had to reboot pc to see skype in installed software.

called my own cell, worked both directions. But a call to Scotland and she could see me but not hear. On my side, see and hear both ok.
    Unsure if I did everything right, was a quickie call, so no time to dig deeper. Will try it long distance another time. But for now, I'd say it's working.

Thanks for the help, folks!!!
    Last edited by seekertom; October 17th, 2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: trying to install skypeforlinux-64.deb

What version of Ubuntu?
    And what was the dpkg output?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: trying to install skypeforlinux-64.deb

Install gdebi first then simply right click on the downloaded skype .deb file and choose to open it with gdebi; that will sort out all the dependencies needed and install them and you should then be able to find skype in the dash or menu if using a DE with menu system.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads