Thread: USB Stick Installation - Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

USB Stick Installation - Problems

Folks,

I've been running 16:04 for around 9 months now from a good quality Lexar USB stick.

Of late I've been getting an occasional lockup, icons disappear, unable to get a response, if I try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to maybe shutdown I get error messages (cannot recall exact) indication memory location problem.

Meanwhile USB stick is flashing rapidly.

I know USB memory has become much more reliable but does the memory still deteriorate if used for an Operating System?

Geffers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: USB Stick Installation - Problems

A USB is going to 'deteriorate' regardless of what you use it for. They have a finite life span and can die anytime. Don't expect forever, particularly when using it for an OS. Heavy use. A USB is definitely less reliable than a hard drive.

Having said that, had you done an update/upgrade or installed/removed anything prior to this occurring? Any cause you can think of or you just switched on one day and had issues? There may be life in it.

For now, I'd clone the USB, if you can, to a new one and get rid of the old (or try and figure out if it really is dead/dying or if it's some other issue). It is never a good sign when they start flashing. If you're running a USB Ubuntu, good idea to have a clone of it up your sleeve anyway. You would back up a hard drive install, so ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 12th, 2017 at 03:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post

For now, I'd clone the USB, if you can, to a new one and get rid of the old (or try and figure out if it really is dead/dying or if it's some other issue). It is never a good sign when they start flashing. If you're running a USB Ubuntu, good idea to have a clone of it up your sleeve anyway. You would back up a hard drive install, so ...
    The USB option was only intended as temporary merely to safeguard warranty on new laptop but as it was running well I stayed with it.

Probably install on HD as warranty expired anyway.

Do SSDs deteriorate as well? They are becoming popular as replacements for conventional drives.

Geffers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There are no guarantees on any of them, but modern SSDs are probably as good as a hard drive when it comes to longevity.

Install on an SSD if you've got one. Install all your OSs on an SSD and use your HDDs for data storage (shared by the two OSs).