Thread: , thank you for keeping 32 bit alive for Lubuntu

Beans

, thank you for keeping 32 bit alive for Lubuntu

The current issue of Distro Watch Weekly has some topics including if 32-bit prematurely obsoleted or not.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20171009

Since I can not offer any money or time to assist you at this time, thank you for keeping 32 bit alive on Lubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: , thank you for keeping 32 bit alive for Lubuntu

Not a support request. Moved to The Cafe.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Kudos for thinking of the volunteers who make the many flavors of Ubuntu happen.

The article seems like spreading classic FUD. I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume it was unintentional.

The Unity developers dropped a single 32-bit package - because it never performed well on 32-bit, and seems correspondingly rarely used.
    How many 32-bit Unity users are out there? And how many were willing to help improve it's performance? In this forum, we haven't recommended Unity for 32-bit users for many, many years.

That's a far, far cry from all of Ubuntu throwing all 32-bit users to the wolves, which has never been suggested.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

All the 32-bit packages will still be in the repositories, there just won't be an Ubuntu 32-bit iso, as far as I know all the flavours will still have 32-bit iso's , and the mini.iso is still there for 32-bit systems.

Note: Artful (17.10) won't be released until Oct. 19/2017, so there isn't a mini.iso available yet.

Beans

Hmm, don't worry, there is always BSD. They like to support old hardware for a long long time after it went obsolete. Ten years ago I loaded BSD onto old Sparc Stations that were rescued from a recycling skip and OpenBSD runs perfectly on my ten year old 32 bit netbook and I expect it to keep going for several more years.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

FUD is done with evil intent. Though the article could have been more precise I wouldn't call it FUD since the mistake is probably unintentional, as you already mentioned.
    Last edited by mörgæs; October 13th, 2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Thanks for clarifications. There are probably a lot of people worldwide who use systems that might not be 32-bit yet still require 32-bit libraries, for example some WINE stuff.
    I am one of those users. I like Lubuntu also.
    May Peace Prevail for Life in all Realms of Creation --Masahisa Goi