Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Hi. Laptop froze while in unity session. Could only restart in Ubuntu session or gnome session which are working fine on both xorg and wayland. Have tried reinstalling unity several times but it comes back corrupted. eg. Cannot change any settings in unity-tweak. Have tried deleting relevant files in .config, .compiz and .cache and reinstalling but nothing works. can anyone suggest where I should try next?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by JonPaul View Post
    Hi. Laptop froze while in unity session. Could only restart in Ubuntu session or gnome session which are working fine on both xorg and wayland. Have tried reinstalling unity several times but it comes back corrupted. eg. Cannot change any settings in unity-tweak. Have tried deleting relevant files in .config, .compiz and .cache and reinstalling but nothing works. can anyone suggest where I should try next?
    Could you give is a hardware list?

    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    edit" also are you using nvidia drivers or nouveau?
    regards..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Hi Ventrical

    Here it is:
    Code:
    System:    Host: paul-Aspire-E1-571 Kernel: 4.13.0-15-generic x86_64
               bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
               Desktop: Gnome 3.26.1 (Gtk 3.22.24-0ubuntu1)
               Distro: Ubuntu Artful Aardvark (development branch)
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: Acer product: Aspire E1-571 v: V2.13 serial: N/A
               Mobo: Acer model: EA50_HC_CR v: Type2 - Board Version serial: N/A
               UEFI: Insyde v: V2.13 date: 01/17/2013
    Battery    BAT1: charge: 16.3 Wh 100.0% condition: 16.3/47.5 Wh (34%)
               model: SANYO Li_Ion_4000mA status: Full
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3230M (-HT-MCP-) 
               arch: Ivy Bridge rev.9 cache: 3072 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10376
               clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 2594 MHz 2: 2594 MHz 3: 2594 MHz
               4: 2594 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.4 ) driver: intel
               Resolution: 1366x768@60.01hz
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
               version: 4.2 Mesa 17.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Def. Audio Controller
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-15-generic
    Network:   Card-1: Broadcom Limited NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
               driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 02:00.0
               IF: enp2s0f0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
               driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
               IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (3.4% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_HDWM110 size: 1000.2GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 202G used: 18G (10%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
    RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 365 Uptime: 13:51 Memory: 3477.9/7797.0MB
               Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.2.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.37
    No funny graphics card - it froze after suspend so I had to do a hard reset. no disk errors found.

    I was using lighdm and unity. lightdm goes to a black screen with flashing cursor after the splash screen. had to switch to gdm3
    If I select unity-session from login the cursor is a black X. I cannot change the size of the dash panel in either settings or unity-tweak. cannot change the theme. Also the top panel does not have the button to shutdown or logout.... I have tried removing every setting I can find but the dash panel does not return with default icons.... I am baffled
    Last edited by vasa1; October 12th, 2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added code tags

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    1,183
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Exclamation Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Unity is broken by a gnome-settings-daemon change. You can try reverting to gnome-settings-daemon 3.26.1-0ubuntu2 or wait for 3.26.1-0ubuntu4 later today.
    LP: #1722920

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Thanks Jeremy. Perhaps it's time for me to move on from Unity.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by JonPaul View Post
    Hi Ventrical

    Here it is:
    Code:
    System:    Host: paul-Aspire-E1-571 Kernel: 4.13.0-15-generic x86_64
               bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
               Desktop: Gnome 3.26.1 (Gtk 3.22.24-0ubuntu1)
               Distro: Ubuntu Artful Aardvark (development branch)
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: Acer product: Aspire E1-571 v: V2.13 serial: N/A
               Mobo: Acer model: EA50_HC_CR v: Type2 - Board Version serial: N/A
               UEFI: Insyde v: V2.13 date: 01/17/2013
    Battery    BAT1: charge: 16.3 Wh 100.0% condition: 16.3/47.5 Wh (34%)
               model: SANYO Li_Ion_4000mA status: Full
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3230M (-HT-MCP-) 
               arch: Ivy Bridge rev.9 cache: 3072 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10376
               clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 2594 MHz 2: 2594 MHz 3: 2594 MHz
               4: 2594 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.4 ) driver: intel
               Resolution: 1366x768@60.01hz
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
               version: 4.2 Mesa 17.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Def. Audio Controller
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-15-generic
    Network:   Card-1: Broadcom Limited NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
               driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 02:00.0
               IF: enp2s0f0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
               driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
               IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (3.4% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_HDWM110 size: 1000.2GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 202G used: 18G (10%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
    RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 365 Uptime: 13:51 Memory: 3477.9/7797.0MB
               Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.2.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.37
    No funny graphics card - it froze after suspend so I had to do a hard reset. no disk errors found.

    I was using lighdm and unity. lightdm goes to a black screen with flashing cursor after the splash screen. had to switch to gdm3
    If I select unity-session from login the cursor is a black X. I cannot change the size of the dash panel in either settings or unity-tweak. cannot change the theme. Also the top panel does not have the button to shutdown or logout.... I have tried removing every setting I can find but the dash panel does not return with default icons.... I am baffled

    I am getting similar on all my 17.10 non unity installs .. even from the release candidate. Just locks up in plymouth after an update. I even used earlier ISOs, then update/upgrade and plymouth lock-up. It's not a unity issue, but, perhaps in this case it was.

    Regards..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I am getting similar on all my 17.10 non unity installs .. even from the release candidate. Just locks up in plymouth after an update. I even used earlier ISOs, then update/upgrade and plymouth lock-up. It's not a unity issue, but, perhaps in this case it was.

    Regards..
    Strange because my ubuntu-session using gdm3 works fine.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by JonPaul View Post
    Strange because my ubuntu-session using gdm3 works fine.
    Ahh.. I forgot to mention nVidia.

    Yes .. it is strange. Perhaps some of my nVidia cards got obsoleted during update. It's happened before.

    edit:

    I'll check those machines.

    if I use the August or Sept 28 ISO I can get a working install but upon update it will lock in Plymouth. Not so in Intel based graphics hardware
    Last edited by ventrical; October 12th, 2017 at 09:56 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    29

    Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    lightdm is completely broken after today's update on both x86 and amd64 on intel N3700.

    Unity starts okay with gdm3.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: 17.10 Unity is broken after freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheltspy View Post
    lightdm is completely broken after today's update on both x86 and amd64 on intel N3700.

    Unity starts okay with gdm3.
    I have unity on lightdm working really well. It's GDM that seems to be sporadic. Noticed a bunch of xmir updates. On one unity based machine it wiped out mouse arrow and now I have an X. If the devs want to kill unity they can go right a ahead.

    peace.

    regards..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •