Thread: post installation errors

Beans

post installation errors

Hi - Following several months of Ubuntu 14.04 dual booting on a EEE PC 905ha netbook, I have uninstalled XP and installed 14.04 as the only os. It works fine straight 'out of the box' - with the latest updates, for the first 24 hours. I can shutdown and boot up umpteen times on the day of installation, but the following day I'm presented with a variety of error messages. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it around a dozen times with the same result every time. The messages vary - sometimes it has been the 'attempt to write outside hd0' - 'Grub repair' - 'usb_keyboard already installed' was the latest. There have been others but I didn't write them down. I have installed it again today (Sat 7 October) - it's working a treat, but it's an odds on certainty that tomorrow it will refuse to boot up. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could throw some light on this weird behaviour and suggest how I might be able to fix it - Thanks for reading this

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: post installation errors

Quote Originally Posted by debroos View Post
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled it around a dozen times with the same result every time.
    Then it's time to try something different.

The 905 is new to me but if it's a smaller model of 1005, with which I am familiar, I would suggest a fresh install of Lubuntu 16.04 or 17.04.

Ubuntu is a heavy workload for weak hardware.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks very much for the reply. I did try Lubuntu 16.04 around half way through the Ubuntu saga, but I had the same problems. I would suspect a hardware failure if it wasn't for the OS working perfectly despite numerous restarts, until after a 6 or 7 hour wait. I wondered if an internal clock had any part to play. (I'm almost totally ignorant of the Linux OS.) If it refuses to boot tomorrow I'll give Lubuntu another go.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good, please post the results. You could also try Lubuntu 17.04.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks again for your help. The plot thickens. It booted up fine first thing, but when I closed down there was several lines of messages on the black screen for a brief instant, which I was unable to read. On rebooting I had an error message - 'failure reading sector 0x846800 from 'hd0'' - Press any key etc. Pressing a key did nothing. I forced a close and rebooted - four times in all, where I was offered the recovery mode menu. Each time I selected a different option - repair.. can't remember the others - and pages of script scrolled up the screen, amongst which were umpteen errors listed. The third attempt resulted in a '..skipping mounting/since Plymouth is not available' . 'Fsck needed to be started manually' also appeared - which is beyond me. The fourth attempt - it booted up fine, no problems. I've written this on it... Is this reply too long for a quick reply?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It sounds like hard disk errors. Here is a recent thread dealing with the topic; maybe you can find some inspiration here:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2372907

Beans

Thanks - I shall do that if/when it refuses to boot. It's still working fine at the minute. I think this pc has a ssd.