Thread: Remote rsync

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Remote rsync

Folks,

I look after my girlfriend's 16:04 machine remotely, I am trying to transfer a 3GB file from her machine to my 16:04 system using scp

Setting up the system on tmux it starts well but two attempts seem to have stalled around 700MB

scp can't resume like wget so am looking in to rscnc but am struggling because I usually connect to her computer using ssh and a different port 2288

Here is my scp command;

Code:
    scp -P 2288 carole@remoteIP:~/Desktop/videos/Movies/FILE.mpg FILE.mpg
    This transfers her file into my current directory on my machine but as mentioned two attempts have failed at around 700MB

I have tried this using rsync;

Code:
    rsync -v -e 'ssh -p 2288' carole@remoteIP:~/Desktop/videos/Movies/File.mpg
    receiving file list ... done
    -rw-r--r--  3565088768 2015/06/14 15:02:26 File.mpg

sent 19 bytes  received 43 bytes  13.78 bytes/sec
    total size is 3565088768  speedup is 57501431.74
    The last entry seems to report the file correctly (Size, name etc) but nothing gets transferred.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong appreciated.

Geffers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Remote rsync

From the manual
    Code:
    man rsync
    As a special case, if a single source arg is specified without a destination, the files are listed in an output format similar to "ls -l".
    I guess this means that it works as ls -l and not as cp

So please add the destination (file or directory). Dot might do, if you want it into the current directory with the same file name.
    Last edited by sudodus; October 7th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    From the manual
    Code:
    man rsync

I guess this means that it works as ls -l and not as cp

So please add the destination (file or directory). Dot might do, if you want it into the current directory.
    I am currently experimenting - I've issued the same command with a full file path as a destination rather than just the file name.

Not sure what is happening, ntop shows about 2mbps connection between both machines, so far 500MB transferred but my file is still the same size.

Something is going on but presently I have no idea what, shall leave it a while and see what happens. I would have thought the partial file I am attempting to copy would have grown in size but not so as yet.

Geffers

Beans

While rsync is transferring files, it writes them to the destination directory as a hidden file with a dot added to the front of the name. When the file is completely transferred, rsync will rename the hidden file to its original name. At the terminal, try using "ls -a" to see the hidden files.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; October 7th, 2017 at 02:16 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    While rsync is transferring files, it writes them to the destination directory as a hidden file with a dot added to the front of the name. When the file is completely transferred, rsync will rename the hidden file to its original name. At the terminal, try using "ls -a" to see the hidden files.
    Thanks, just looked and found that.

If the transfer is interrupted whilst rsync is running what happens then? I thought all was going well, ntop was showing well in excess of 1GB transferred. Somehow transfer interrupted and when I issued rsync command again the GB originally shown as transferred has gone somewhere.

It has started again from the beginning.

Geoff Lane

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe it helps if you use the option --partial

Code:
           --partial
                  By  default,  rsync will delete any partially transferred file if the transfer is inter‐
                  rupted. In some circumstances it is more desirable to keep partially transferred  files.
                  Using the --partial option tells rsync to keep the partial file which should make a sub‐
                  sequent transfer of the rest of the file much faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Maybe it helps if you use the option --partial

Code:
           --partial
                  By  default,  rsync will delete any partially transferred file if the transfer is inter‐
                  rupted. In some circumstances it is more desirable to keep partially transferred  files.
                  Using the --partial option tells rsync to keep the partial file which should make a sub‐
                  sequent transfer of the rest of the file much faster.
    OK, thanks for that suggestion. Shall give that a try now.

Geffers