Thread: I don't have Chromium, but the Software Updater keeps updating some extensions!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't have Chromium, but the Software Updater keeps updating some extensions!

I have Ubuntu Mate 14.04, in case it matters. The Software Updater keeps giving me updates for some Chromium extensions, but I don't even have Chromium! The only browser I have currently installed is Firefox!

I checked the Synaptic Package Manager, searching for "chromium" in the quick filter. It says I have the two following packages:

Extra ffmpeg codecs for the Chromium Browser (chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra)
    Web browser engine for Qt (codecs) (oxideqt-codecs-extra)

Is there another application using these packages? How can I tell? Should I remove them??

Thanks in advance for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I don't have Chromium, but the Software Updater keeps updating some extensions!

chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra is a dependency of chromium. It may have been left on your system when you uninstalled chromium. I don't know about the other package. But if no other software depends on those packages, they should be autoremovable.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Make sure it doesn't list any packages you know you want to keep.

Or use synaptic, check status->autoremovable and uninstall the autoremovable packages.

Beans

Re: I don't have Chromium, but the Software Updater keeps updating some extensions!

I don't have chromium-browser installed and am sure I haven't ever installed it on my current system.
    Code:
    $ apt list --installed | grep -i chromium

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 61.0.3163.100-0ubuntu0.16.04.1306 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    $
    and
    Code:
    $ apt rdepends chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
    chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
    Reverse Depends:
      Depends: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra-dbg (= 51.0.2704.79-0ubuntu0.16.04.1.1242)
     |Depends: chromium-browser (= 61.0.3163.100-0ubuntu0.16.04.1306)
      Replaces: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg
      Conflicts: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg
     |Depends: chromium-browser (= 49.0.2623.108-0ubuntu1.1233)
      Recommends: ubuntu-restricted-addons
      Recommends: kubuntu-restricted-addons
      Depends: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra-dbg (= 49.0.2623.108-0ubuntu1.1233)
      Replaces: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg
      Conflicts: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg
    $
    So maybe it has something to do with ubuntu-restricted-addons or kubuntu-restricted-addons unless one installs with the --no-install-recommends option which isn't on by default.
    Last edited by vasa1; October 7th, 2017 at 01:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think ubuntu-restricted-addons is needed for playing DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

So... what about the Web browser Engine for Qt? The ffmpeg codecs are probably necessary for playing DVDs, according to jeremy31. I'll agree, since I vaguely remember having installed some random package from Chromium for something media-related. However, I do not recall ever having had Chromium on this computer. I might have though, since I've had it for close to 4 years now, and I did play around with it a little bit when I first installed Ubuntu.

How safe is autoremove nowadays? Going by some old discussions online, it seems like it could remove necessary stuff, and people recommend doing backups.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Autoremove is quite safe, but not infallible. It will show you a list of packages it is going to remove. Look at that list and if there's anything suspicious on it, abort. Most of the time it will only show old kernels and headers (I used it for that a moment ago), maybe some dependencies of a program you recently removed. But sometimes people remove a meta-package, suddenly making much of their favourite software autoremovable.
    Code:
    sudo apt autoremove --purge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The oxideqt-codecs-extra package is part of ubuntu-restricted-addons just like the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
    Code:
    apt depends ubuntu-restricted-addons
    ubuntu-restricted-addons
      Recommends: gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
      Recommends: flashplugin-installer
        flashplugin-installer:i386
      Recommends: gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
      Recommends: gstreamer1.0-libav
      Recommends: gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3
      Recommends: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
      Recommends: oxideqt-codecs-extra