Thread: Elantech touchpad not detected in 17.04

Beans

Question Elantech touchpad not detected in 17.04

I installed the latest lubuntu on my ideapad yesterday.

The touchpad didn't work in the installer, as expected, but now I notice that even after installation it still doesn't work! It's an Elan touchpad, and windows detects it just fine. I tried arch out before this, and the touchpad worked there too. It's only on lubuntu that this is occuring. xinput doesn't list it. Any ideas what I could do to fix it, beyond, say, trying out a newer kernel version?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Elantech touchpad not detected in 17.04

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Yes, a newer kernel is an easy test. Is there any differnce in a live boot of 17.10 (beta)?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Actually, I tried out the 4.13 kernel from the artful ppa, and that seems to have fixed the issues. One thing though, is that wifi has gone completely bonkers in 4.13. If I log out once and log back in, wifi stops. I try getting it back up using iw, ip and the rest and they just become unresponsive-can't even ctrl-c out of them. They just freezer, and stop the system from shutting down properly because systemd keeps waiting for them to "finish".

Any thoughts on that?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So far, so good. Now it's just waiting until the network bug get fixed.

An intermediate low-tech solution: Don't log out. Do a real shut down when you are finished.

I suggest that you try 17.10 in a live boot now and then to see when wifi works reliably. If you can live with using only wired internet access you can also install it today.
    Last edited by mörgæs; October 7th, 2017 at 05:45 AM.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Well, as of now my wifi is completely broken, and won't turn on no matter what. Guess I'll have to reinstall.

So, nowI am faced with a choice:

Do I want a working trackpad or do I want a working internet connection?

I think I'll use a usb mouse instead. Thank you for the help!
    Last edited by warpspeedscp; October 7th, 2017 at 06:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When you reinstall 17.04 you could create space for a dual boot so you can run 17.10 (beta) in parallel. I prefer running the clean versions to adding PPA's.

This way you can try 17.10 from time to time, if needed with a wired internet connection, to see how the progress is. At least we know that the trackpad works here.