Thread: Additional settings and icons in the panel, speakers don't work

Beans

Additional settings and icons in the panel, speakers don't work

Hi, my first post here I'm using xubuntu 16.04 I tried to fix a problem with my laptop speakers not working using the advice from what Google would come up with. The problem was that suddenly my built-in speakers stopped working but headphones or external speakers continued to work just fine. So the advice I found on the Internet was this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get purge linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
    sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop
    reboot
    And since then in the top right corner I have an additional battery icon, a bluetooth icon and a cog icon and another clock. Also some of the settings are duplicated but have slightly different names. I am completely new to linux so I did not really know what I was doing, so I tried to fix it by removing gdm and ubuntu-desktop with sudo apt-get remove. It didn't fix the problem. Did I screw up? Do you know what happened and how can I fix it?
    PS: The speakers still don't work XD

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Additional settings and icons in the panel, speakers don't work

O dear! Welcome to the forum, and what a pity you did not start here first as I think we could have helped you a great deal quicker and with fewer repercussions.

You should have opened Sound Settings and used the Output Devices tab where headphones and speakers are shown separately and can be adjusted separately as well.

I would love to see that site that suggested all that, particularly installing ubuntu-desktop and gdm, just to do something that I suspect simply needed a change to the mute or volume settings in Sound Settings, which you get to by clicking the volume icon on the panel.

The problem now is that ubuntu-desktop will have brought with it a huge number of packages that are certainly not needed in Xubuntu; when I just went through the motions on my Xubuntu 16.04 system it would have installed 354 packages turning the system into a chimera of Ubuntu and Xubuntu. If you can live with the system you now have, fair enough, and to remove all that was added and is not needed will be a fairly long process, but if you do wish to clean it all out come back again and I'll try to suggest what you may need to remove.

PS:
    You can see all that was installed on your system on that date by running command
    Code:
    grep -i " install " /var/log/dpkg.log.1 /var/log/dpkg.log
    The output of that will be a list by date of all that has recently been installed and by looking at the time and date yu will be able to see the long list of everything added at that time.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 3rd, 2017 at 04:53 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

"You should have opened Sound Settings and used the Output Devices tab where headphones and speakers are shown separately and can be adjusted separately as well."

As ajgreeny posted (in case you missed it) you should still be able to do that now and get your internal speakers working. You may have to install pavucontrol if it is not still installed.

Beans

Thank you for your answers! And, contrary to what you may think from what I did to my poor xubuntu, I am not THAT stupid not to try the simple sound settings first What I have in the output is "Speakers (unavailable)" and when I select it, nothing happens, it's unmuted and when I play some music the volume bars jump right and left, but no sound from the speakers. Also, I have the latest pavucontrol version installed.
    I'd love to clean it all out ajgreeny and I'm very eager to learn more about linux as it is my first distro ever so that would also help me in that.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you run that command I gave you in my post above you will get output similar to this but with different packages showing, of course.
    Code:
    /var/log/dpkg.log.1:1209:2017-09-18 22:05:37 install linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic:amd64 <none> 4.4.0-96.119
    /var/log/dpkg.log.1:1213:2017-09-18 22:05:40 install linux-image-extra-4.4.0-96-generic:amd64 <none> 4.4.0-96.119
    /var/log/dpkg.log.1:1231:2017-09-18 22:05:46 install linux-headers-4.4.0-96:all <none> 4.4.0-96.119
    /var/log/dpkg.log.1:1235:2017-09-18 22:05:50 install linux-headers-4.4.0-96-generic:amd64 <none> 4.4.0-96.119
    /var/log/dpkg.log.1:1439:2017-09-18 22:06:33 install linux-signed-image-4.4.0-96-generic:amd64 <none> 4.4.0-96.119
    I have coloured the time stamps of those installations in red to make them clearer; you will need to look at the list of everything that was added at the time that you installed that list including ubuntu-desktop and try to remove as many of those as you can, but as there may be up to 354 of them it may be something that simply takes too long. It may, thereore be easier to look at your menu, note where you have duplicate applications that you don't want, eg, gnome-terminal, nautilus (just called "files" in the menu), remove those applications and then run
    Code:
    sudo apt autoremove
    to clean out unnecessary dependency packages.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

OK, thank you. I removed ones that sounded most likely to be causing my problems. Then I tinkered in the panel and it looks normal now. However, my speakers are still not working. They are still marked as unavailable in the output devices.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lucask2 View Post
    Thank you for your answers! And, contrary to what you may think from what I did to my poor xubuntu, I am not THAT stupid not to try the simple sound settings first What I have in the output is "Speakers (unavailable)" and when I select it, nothing happens, it's unmuted and when I play some music the volume bars jump right and left, but no sound from the speakers. Also, I have the latest pavucontrol version installed.
    I'd love to clean it all out ajgreeny and I'm very eager to learn more about linux as it is my first distro ever so that would also help me in that.
    what do you have in the configuration tab?

What do you see if you use alsamixer in a terminal?

Have you managed to removed ubuntu?

Did sound work in the live session when you checked things worked before installing?

Finally - don't blindly follow people's howto's on the net, half the time if you look for 'sound +linux' you'll hit all the remove pulseaudio and kill it with fire posts from years ago ...

Beans

Actually, as I didn't disconnect my headphones over the last few days I didn't do anything about my speakers. But now that you mentioned it, I wanted to check them and suddenly they work! I have no idea what changed, because after I removed the unwanted packages, they weren't working and now they are. Absolutely no idea what happened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Ok - thanks for letting us know.