Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Beans
    11

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    I checked through the terminal my system's specs and it is a 32 bit system.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC (USA)
    Beans
    1,769
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Quote Originally Posted by rgonzalez3894 View Post
    I checked through the terminal my system's specs and it is a 32 bit system.
    You will have to completely reinstall Ubuntu on the system. There isn't a way to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. The only way is to reinstall your system completely. Make sure you backup all your data.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss


  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reykjavk, sland
    Beans
    12,884
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Quote Originally Posted by rgonzalez3894 View Post
    I checked through the terminal my system's specs and it is a 32 bit system.
    How did you check? Please post the output of lscpu in CODE tags.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Beans
    11

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    How did you check? Please post the output of lscpu in CODE tags.
    Hi I used the command

    cat /proc/cpuinfo

    and

    arch

    both showed outputted i686 which is a 32 bit.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Beans
    11

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    You will have to completely reinstall Ubuntu on the system. There isn't a way to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. The only way is to reinstall your system completely. Make sure you backup all your data.
    So does the bit of the system depend on the OS and not on the physical limitations of the cpu?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC (USA)
    Beans
    1,769
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Quote Originally Posted by rgonzalez3894 View Post
    So does the bit of the system depend on the OS and not on the physical limitations of the cpu?
    From what I read on the Acer website they have Windows Vista 64 Bit drivers for your laptop. That would lead me to believe that the processor does support the 64bit instruction set.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss


  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Beans
    11

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    You will have to completely reinstall Ubuntu on the system. There isn't a way to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. The only way is to reinstall your system completely. Make sure you backup all your data.
    I may just reinstall the 64 bit version of lubuntu because it says on the website that PCs older than 2007 are usually not 64 bit compatible and I got the acer aspire in 2007 so it most likely will accept the 64 bit lubuntu. However, is the bit of the system the cause of the issue with running the fan script?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC (USA)
    Beans
    1,769
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Quote Originally Posted by rgonzalez3894 View Post
    However, is the bit of the system the cause of the issue with running the fan script?
    I believe it is part of the problem. I think a BIOS update will be the best solution, but it won't hurt you to upgrade lUbuntu to 64 bit.

    Keep in mind that the script you are trying to use was written in 2008 so there might be slight issues with the script as kernels and utilities change.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss


  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Beans
    11

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    I believe it is part of the problem. I think a BIOS update will be the best solution, but it won't hurt you to upgrade lUbuntu to 64 bit.

    Keep in mind that the script you are trying to use was written in 2008 so there might be slight issues with the script as kernels and utilities change.
    Hi I upgraded the laptop to the 64 bit lubuntu and reinstalled the acer_fancontrol files, and the fan actually worked for the first 3 times that I rebooted the laptop

    However, after a shutdown and restart, the fan does not come on anymore.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reykjavk, sland
    Beans
    12,884
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: Acer Aspire 5315 fan script not working

    Please copy
    Code:
    sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
    to the terminal, run it and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •