Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu 17.10 is looking good so far

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Xubuntu 17.10 is looking good so far

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    ... The thumbnails don't show by default. One has to enable that, ...
    What did you need to do to enable it?

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flocculant View Post
    What did you need to do to enable it?
    Thunar>Edit>Preferences>Display
    The downloaded distro usually comes with Last active view and Local files only. But, that "last active view" is of the dev's computer, who created the live iso. He might not care too much for thumbnails. Not having thumbnails showing is a problem for normal users. I change the last active view to icon view and close Thunar. If I get the thumbnails showing, I change it back to last active view and everything is okay. Sometimes, after changing to icon view, you have to logout and login. It may look like a minor matter, but for non-technical users, it is a big matter. "Oh, in Windows I can see my pictures..." I've heard this many times.

Xubuntu should be tweaked to its utmost, before releasing. Move the panel to bottom, make the panel size about 32pix, put the categories in Whisker menu to the left, put some icons (Firefox, Thunar, LibreOffice, Media player, Image viewer) on the panel. Words like Parole, Ristretto don't say anything to normal users, so some normal words have to be found.

Xubuntu is such a positive distro, it should be ready to use for child of 7 out of box. And, for old people too. There are lot of older people, who don't know much, but know if you click on a picture, it'd open in viewer. First you have to see the thumbnail to click on it. The Image viewer should open as a window, not full screen. Media player opens in a window, Image viewer doesn't.

Maybe the devs should think of adding DockbarX, as it allows pinning app icons to the panel.

Xubuntu can be configured, but that's for people, who wants to read how-tos. But, if Xubuntu comes fully configured, so a child of 6 can immediately use it, then no other distro can beat it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thunar>Edit>Preferences>Display
    The downloaded distro usually comes with Last active view and Local files only. But, that "last active view" is of the dev's computer, who created the live iso. He might not care too much for thumbnails. Not having thumbnails showing is a problem for normal users. I change the last active view to icon view and close Thunar. If I get the thumbnails showing, I change it back to last active view and everything is okay. Sometimes, after changing to icon view, you have to logout and login. It may look like a minor matter, but for non-technical users, it is a big matter. "Oh, in Windows I can see my pictures..." I've heard this many times.

Xubuntu should be tweaked to its utmost, before releasing. Move the panel to bottom, make the panel size about 32pix, put the categories in Whisker menu to the left, put some icons (Firefox, Thunar, LibreOffice, Media player, Image viewer) on the panel. Words like Parole, Ristretto don't say anything to normal users, so some normal words have to be found.

Xubuntu is such a positive distro, it should be ready to use for child of 7 out of box. And, for old people too. There are lot of older people, who don't know much, but know if you click on a picture, it'd open in viewer. First you have to see the thumbnail to click on it. The Image viewer should open as a window, not full screen. Media player opens in a window, Image viewer doesn't.

Maybe the devs should think of adding DockbarX, as it allows pinning app icons to the panel.

Xubuntu can be configured, but that's for people, who wants to read how-tos. But, if Xubuntu comes fully configured, so a child of 6 can immediately use it, then no other distro can beat it.
    Ok - so that's a lot of things 'you' like.

This bit from this forum's description "Please Note: Ubuntu Developers do not usually read the forums," works for Xubuntu as well.

The place to put forward your ideas to Xubuntu devs is on our mailing list > xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com (also bear in mind we are a small team, so mails won't get answered immediately)

Cheers.

Beans

This bit from this forum's description "Please Note: Ubuntu Developers do not usually read the forums," works for Xubuntu as well.

The place to put forward your ideas to Xubuntu devs is on our mailing list > xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com (also bear in mind we are a small team, so mails won't get answered immediately)

Cheers.
    Its not just what I like, its what I'd like Xubuntu to come with, that is, if Xubuntu would care to be the most liked Ubuntu derivative. I can do the things I mentioned myself, but that's not the case. It is that most devs forget that the user is not the same as the dev. What becomes released is the last working install of the developer, with all the configurations he likes and some he had forgotten to delete. The thumbnails is not showing in default is something the devs had forgotten to look into.

There are lot of things devs forget to clear up (not only in Xubuntu), and that state had been there for years - if you look at 12.04 or even before, you'd see the same files. There are lot of unnecessary files around, forgotten. Here's an example; look in /usr/share/python-apt/templates. You get Tanglu, Blankon, gNewsense etc. Overworked people forget, which is, of course, normal.

Xubuntu had been a bug free distro for quite a while, only slight stuff like thumbnails not showing by default. With a little QA, it could be the best ever in the Ubuntu family.

Beans
    Hidden!

As I said "The place to put forward your ideas to Xubuntu devs is on our mailing list > xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com (also bear in mind we are a small team, so mails won't get answered immediately)"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Cheers.
    Its not just what I like, its what I'd like Xubuntu to come with, that is, if Xubuntu would care to be the most liked Ubuntu derivative. I can do the things I mentioned myself, but that's not the case. It is that most devs forget that the user is not the same as the dev. What becomes released is the last working install of the developer, with all the configurations he likes and some he had forgotten to delete. The thumbnails is not showing in default is something the devs had forgotten to look into.

There are lot of things devs forget to clear up (not only in Xubuntu), and that state had been there for years - if you look at 12.04 or even before, you'd see the same files. There are lot of unnecessary files around, forgotten. Here's an example; look in /usr/share/python-apt/templates. You get Tanglu, Blankon, gNewsense etc. Overworked people forget, which is, of course, normal.

Xubuntu had been a bug free distro for quite a while, only slight stuff like thumbnails not showing by default. With a little QA, it could be the best ever in the Ubuntu family.
    I never really noticed this and haven't had to do anything besides drag most of the main folders like Documents, Downloads, etc. to the left bottom side of Thunar under Places to have them easily accessable.
    The icons seem to show up ok although my settings are still unchanged in Thunar>Edit>Preferences>Display. Is this because I'm not new to Xubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Been testing it since 2010. Moving windows were choppy then and they are choppy now. But I like the theme and the structure. There is a lot to be said about that. It's hard to teach to noobs as a migration alternative. If you have a good sense of linuxesque then it is the desktop for you, otherwise, expect your potential converts to go running back to windows.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; October 12th, 2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: sp

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Been testing it since 2010. Moving windows were choppy then and they are choppy now. But I like the theme and the structure. There is a lot to be said about that. It's hard to teach to noobs as a migration alternative. If you have a good sense of linuxesque then it is the desktop for you, otherwise, expect your potential converts to go running back to windows.

Regards..
    That's why I say that the devs must remember that the users are not like the devs, but simply ordinary ones, who might try out a new distro. And, for them to stay, the distro must work out of the box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

That's why I say that the devs must remember that the users are not like the devs, but simply ordinary ones, who might try out a new distro. And, for them to stay, the distro must work out of the box.
    I should frame this and make it a permanent sidekick.

It has been my argument from day one.But we've come a long way since then. Ubuntu has set the bar. Well,actually, Ubuntu/Canonical founder has set the bar that Ubuntu is "the best operating system on the planet" and therefore all that is left are excuses. Lucid/Maveric with Gnome2 worked out of the box with 10.10 probably being the most versatile and reliable. 12.04 Unity with Unity2D was a real moon shot that was bang on for more legacy machines. I remember one of the members, Ronac, used to say , "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's so easy to forget where we came from.

Regards..

Beans

How did you get all those widgets on the right? Please share secrets.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast