Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dpkg: error processing package samba-common (--configure):

Beans

Re: dpkg: error processing package samba-common (--configure):

That askubuntu thread won't help you. The way you broke apt is different from the way they broke apt, so how to fix is different.
    (Their problem was incompatible packages, one trying to overwrite the other. None of the proposed solutions is a useful fix)

There are three ways to fix the problem - each has it's pain points.
    1) Reinstall.
    2) Use dpkg to uninstall all the affected packages. Then use apt to reinstall them.
    3) Manually download all the affected packages, then use apt --force to reinstall them.

Beans

finally i will reinstall Ubuntu and i want you to tell me how to avoid this kind of problems in the future?

Beans

Avoiding this kind of problem is easy: Do not delete files from the apt database.
    In over a decade, none of my machines have ever has this kind of of problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Avoiding this kind of problem is easy: Do not delete files from the apt database.
    In over a decade, none of my machines have ever has this kind of of problem.
    In fact do not delete or edit anything at all from the root filesystem unless there is
    1. a very good reason for doing so
    2. you know exactly what you're doing and why
    3. there is no alternative answer to your problem
    4. you have a way to reverse anything you have done

There is a very good reason for a user being unable to work on the filesystem files and folders; that being that you, as user, can completely kill your OS if you do something silly.

It may be theoretically possible for you to right the wrongs you have now made for yourself but I believe it will be far quicker and more certain of success for you to re-install.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12