Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: help to make unity Uubuntu test.iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: help to make unity Uubuntu test.iso

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Downloaded few minutes ago. Booted quite nicely in live mode. Live boot login screen on a MBR laptop gets the background picture from /etc/PinguyBuilder/isolinux. (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2237&page=3#26) It was the same way in Remastersys. You can change that picture to any, if you are using Remastersys script, whatever its name now. Will try on a UEFI laptop later.

Firefox opens much faster than in default Ubuntu. Nautilus too. This is a problem with Gnome, the lag. It looks like this lag was not taken into account when deciding on making Gnome the default. Unity greeter responds immediately; gdm has to think a little before logging. Unity launcher moves in an out of hiding in the normal smoother way.

There is no installer icon. This has to be checked in PinguyBuilder.

Will try now on a Uefi.

EDIT: Booted nicely on a UEFI laptop. No installer icon here too. Firefox starts just as quickly. Nautilus too. In both laptops there are no lags. Open window movements are smooth in both. In the default Ubuntu, those movements are jerky. No idea, why someone would want to change nicer smoother experience to a jerky one.

Suggestion: Try making the live installable iso in a chroot manually.
    There were initially some problems with 4.13.0-11 and gdm .. or it was just gdm. (I filed a bug and posted it- didn't get much attention on both the kernel and gdm but nobody else could confirm the bug as of yet.) So there is systemd problems. gdm problems and maybe kernel problems binding gdm. I think it has to do with the way the post-boot is trying to jockey with xorg and wayland. So I think this is a growing pain and not really a big problem.

Also thank you for your positive comments and links. I may not get to all suggestions but I am going methodically along here.

Just a side note: I am beginning to like the gnome dock. It works smoothly on my intel base graphics boxes but there is a herkity-jerkity effect with nvidia graphics. Obviously the unity desktop is a smoother operator than most desktop experiences but it looks as though it is getting better, however slowly, with gnome. Perhaps a lot of this will be cleaned up during 18.04 and so I am committed to help them test.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

@Chanath,

Thanks for testing!

I plan to make more builds but I have to check with service-provider becau$e of bandwidth.Also might try to find a faster cloud service. I think Canonical gives 10GBs free or something. When I get something a little faster I'll post some upgraded builds.

Regards..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    @Chanath

There are two installer icons. One in the unity panel and just double-click ubiquity.desktop.

Regards..
    I know that. Both icons have to be there, when this iso goes out finally.

Beans

There were initially some problems with 4.13.0-11 and gdm .. or it was just gdm. (I filed a bug and posted it- didn't get much attention on both the kernel and gdm but nobody else could confirm the bug as of yet.) So there is systemd problems. gdm problems and maybe kernel problems binding gdm. I think it has to do with the way the post-boot is trying to jockey with xorg and wayland. So I think this is a growing pain and not really a big problem.

Also thank you for your positive comments and links. I may not get to all suggestions but I am going methodically along here.

Just a side note: I am beginning to like the gnome dock. It works smoothly on my intel base graphics boxes but there is a herkity-jerkity effect with nvidia graphics. Obviously the unity desktop is a smoother operator than most desktop experiences but it looks as though it is getting better, however slowly, with gnome. Perhaps a lot of this will be cleaned up during 18.04 and so I am committed to help them test.

Regards..
    In this Unity7Ubuntu, gdm problems don't matter as its not there. Lightdm takes over the job, and this is just there only for login. Unity doesn't need wayland, so that jockeying problem also goes away. (Gparted is Xorg and live iso cannot do without Gparted. Xwayland is not wayland, but..well what?). We are talking about a Unity Ubuntu live installable iso that works very well with Xorg (and Gparted).

Gnome's jerky problems are there in the default Ubuntu and in Ubuntu Gnome. This is a Gnome problem. Sure, they have time till 18.04, as the LTS users won't move to a new LTS until then. But, when 17.10 comes out, the triers would shout, the websites would clamour. Anyway, that's not my problem. (Most Unity users would say the same.)

If Unity would stay in 18.04, it would be nice. If not, one should just download all Unity related deb files to one's computer, sort of internal repo. I'm sure some have already done it.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro

Post installation:

I went to:

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    and I got this.

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-MS-7850:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
    ventrical@ventrical-MS-7850:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Setting up grub-pc (2.02~beta3-4ubuntu6) ...
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
    grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-11-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-11-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.12.0-12-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.12.0-12-generic
    Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
    done
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.125ubuntu11) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-11-generic
    Setting up gconf-service (3.2.6-4ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.26-0ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for systemd (234-2ubuntu10) ...
    Setting up gconf2 (3.2.6-4ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up libgksu2-0 (2.0.13~pre1-9ubuntu2) ...
    update-alternatives: using /usr/share/libgksu/debian/gconf-defaults.libgksu-sudo to provide /usr/share/gconf/defaults/10_libgksu (libgksu-gconf-defaults) in auto mode
    Processing triggers for gconf2 (3.2.6-4ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up gksu (2.0.2-9ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up ubiquity (17.10.7) ...
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/ubiquity.service → /lib/systemd/system/ubiquity.service.
    Setting up ubiquity-frontend-debconf (17.10.7) ...
    Setting up pinguybuilder (4.3-8) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.26-0ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-20) ...
    ventrical@ventrical-MS-7850:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
      fonts-cantarell
    but the grub-pc option window gave me two choices .. the hdd or sda2 - so I chose sda2 and it gave me errors but it is now to update/upgrade.

Regards..

Beans

Post installation:

I went to:

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Check your original install before creating the live iso. The problem must've come from it. What you got was a installable live iso from your install. Whatever problems that were there came through.

Beans
    Distro

Check your original install before creating the live iso. The problem must've come from it. What you got was a installable live iso from your install. Whatever problems that were there came through.
    Thats a given. As I said I will work with a clean install during second build . I am encouraged at how the first build went though I just want something cleaner for those who want to test it. Of course I would rather spend more time building an ISO during the 18.04 cycle but that will have to wait. If I get some stable build then I will work on unity9 for desktops. That will take some weeks . I am not declaring or committing that I will actually have a working unity9 but if I get the time to squeeze in between testing, then I'll certainly try. If 18.04 keeps unity7 viable or in the universe and our team actually gets to maintain it then there will be time drawn away from trying to build a Unity9 system.

mac4man has posted some words of wisdom..

Honestly I think you should be patient & see what transpires in 18.04..
    So I am considering all these things and considering how to compartmentalize my time.

Again .. a big thanks to all here who have helped me out on this.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 25th, 2017 at 10:37 AM.

Beans

Created a test iso through chroot from the last daily live iso and uploaded to Mega. Its 64 bit. Let me know how you find it. Its there only for testing purposes. Its called Unity7N.iso and weighs 1.29GB

Link: https://mega.nz/#!OwFwDB4b!7_OG1GI7J...9ujvEJ-5yaRcj0

md5sum 9a4b29b41db59b813e9d41344fc0077d
    sha256sum 97f5a5a4492e855f466df05bd85639a265a5dadf530bd56779 796037caa2562e

Beans
    Distro

Created a test iso through chroot from the last daily live iso and uploaded to Mega. Its 64 bit. Let me know how you find it. Its there only for testing purposes. Its called Unity7N.iso and weighs 1.29GB

Link: https://mega.nz/#!OwFwDB4b!7_OG1GI7J...9ujvEJ-5yaRcj0

md5sum 9a4b29b41db59b813e9d41344fc0077d
    sha256sum 97f5a5a4492e855f466df05bd85639a265a5dadf530bd56779 796037caa2562e
    I'm downloading now but it is taking too much time. It cost money to loosen up the bandwidth speed. I'll do this download but it ties up my KVM from doing other work on the internet with my other boxes. I searched for free cloud space to upload isos to ubuntu cloud but can't find any. Sourceforge has had problems in the past. Canonical expects a high level of due dilligence and security when considering support for an off-site distro.. Just thought I would mention that. I'll be back later to report test on your iso.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 25th, 2017 at 08:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have requested from another source if we could find another cloud service where there are not any speed restricts adn that are safe and secure.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 25th, 2017 at 08:06 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast