Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: help to make unity Uubuntu test.iso

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: help to make unity Uubuntu test.iso

OK. Have a look at this too, if you want, https://sourceforge.net/projects/bodhibuilder/files/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I have used remastersys long ago.

I have already built a spin of 17.10. Pinguy will not build on an install that is in UEFI mode. If you want to build it in UEFI .. be my guest. It will create an ISO that will run in UEFI but I am not concerned with that atm. So I have a solid compiler that works on development versions with PCs in BIOS mode. When I get something built that I am satisfied with I'll put up a link for those who may want to test it.

Regards..
    This sounds good

Beans

Looks like Ubiquity and Ubiquity-frontend-gtk are interconnected with gnome-shell, gnome-shell-common and ubuntu-session. If you are to make live iso with only unity, you'd have to install ubiquity, ubiquity-frontend-gtk using some other way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Looks like Ubiquity and Ubiquity-frontend-gtk are interconnected with gnome-shell, gnome-shell-common and ubuntu-session. If you are to make live iso with only unity, you'd have to install ubiquity, ubiquity-frontend-gtk using some other way.
    I am doing a study of this but I have to do some other tests first, ie; To use lightdm ..etc..

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    This sounds good
    It boots very well in UEFI mode with almost no bugs. In BIOS mode there are bugs and a Debian live boot screen With gdm. So I am changing to lightdm and see if that will fix.

Beans

Check in /etc/PinguyBuilder/isolinux, if you are using Pinguy to build it.

Beans

Notwithstanding the effort, ect. I can't fathom the purpose here. Atm unity is available & usable in 17.10 & will be in 18.04, at least to start.
    So what would this "iso" reflect. A point in time artful, some point in time b*, or something else?

From a general user perspective non lts releases are useless, once eol one has to advance, the repos are moved & locked, ppa builds are no longer possible.
    So my view is as far as unity it's either 16.04 or *possibly* 18.04 if it remains viable & usable. In any event one would want to be able to install & update all the other stuff, whether from the ubuntu repos or ppa's.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    It works just fine. I have an installable Unity7 (live) Only ISO with Ubiquity installers. I am writing this message from a Unity7 only hard install.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Notwithstanding the effort, ect. I can't fathom the purpose here. Atm unity is available & usable in 17.10 & will be in 18.04, at least to start.
    So what would this "iso" reflect. A point in time artful, some point in time b*, or something else?
    Good pointed questions here.

1. If it remains stable through 17.10 then it may at some point be considered as an ubuntu-distro in the furture, version unity9 for desktops. Unity8 is already forked to another group so Unity9 would be the logical next step for desktops.

The current .ISO that I just built this am: runs on the current 17.10 and is fully update-able. It is unity7 only with lightdm.

From a general user perspective non lts releases are useless, once eol one has to advance, the repos are moved & locked, ppa builds are no longer possible.
    So my view is as far as unity it's either 16.04 or *possibly* 18.04 if it remains viable & usable. In any event one would want to be able to install & update all the other stuff, whether from the ubuntu repos or ppa's.
    The ISO I created this morning , when hard installed, can do all the features you mention above. Again ..idea is to have Unity7 distro Uubuntu. I am not worried about what happens in the repos with 18.04 because all I am getting is "should be's", "probably", "maybe" , "we hope" etc.. and I understand because they have downsized their development resources considerably. I too hope that they continue to keep unity7 during 18.04. The other thing is that I can now hack and modify untiy7 to unity9 and compiz and hopefully clean up some bugs and other issues . Once I do something effective and proper with this I could perhaps request that unity9 be reopened for development, most likely , from a group of community maintainers but also would need Canonical help. It's just an idea. If they shoot that down then maybe a ppa.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 23rd, 2017 at 05:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Other than sourceforge.. is there anywhere else to upload iso files that is somewhat secure? I cant afford cloud.

regards..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast