Thread: Ralink RT3090 wi-fi adapter and Ubuntu 16.04

Beans

Ralink RT3090 wi-fi adapter and Ubuntu 16.04

I just installed Linux 16.04 on an old laptop (I know it's not the most recent but it's the one I'm using for now). I have a Ralink RT3090 wireless adapter and it does not seem to be working. It detects networks, but trying to connect has no effect when I enter the Wi-Fi password.

I'm a Linux newbie and I've been stumbling through this the best I can. I've tried seeing if the adapter was blocked (it wasn't) and I've even downloaded the driver files and tried to make them (Unsuccessfully.)

I HAVE searched the forums for answers, and it looks like a problem nearly identical to mine was solved:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....ghlight=ralink

Assuming the solution would be similar on my own laptop, how do you determine which modules are loading at startup, and then how would I determine which one would conflict with the wireless card? As I've said this is all new to me and I hope anyone with suggestions can explain it simply.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ralink RT3090 wi-fi adapter and Ubuntu 16.04

The correct driver should be loaded at install, if you have not installed any on your own please do:
    Code:
    echo "options rt2800pci  nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci
    sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci
    copy and paste one line at a time into the terminal, then hit enter after each line, you will have to enter your user password on the second command.

Now it should connect, if not run the wireless script in my signature and post the output per the directions in the link.

I have to leave town in a few hours so if it does not work someone else can help by looking at the information from the script.

Beans
    Distro

Change your settings in network manager in the top right corner of the screen to match the settings in the screenshots. Reboot your router then after it is back up reboot your computer, if it does not connect let us see a new wireless files.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It worked! Thank you for your time and the solution!

Beans
    Distro

Your welcome!
    Enjoy!