Thread: 16.04 won't connect to a specific network (network works with W10 and android)

Beans

Question 16.04 won't connect to a specific network (network works with W10 and android)

Hello, as per title I am having an issue connecting to a network with Lubuntu 16.04.2.

It just keeps trying to connect (icon loads forever) and then it throws a network error. The network is Eduroam, which if you are a student in Europe you will probably know, as it is a network used by many federated universities, where with your account you can get access to wifi at different universities and locations.

The interesting part is that I am having issues only when I am at my university, as when I am at different locations it works fine. I tried to connect with Windows 10 and it works, same thing for android. Therefore I can assume it is a problem with Lubuntu that for some reasons can't connect to the university wifi.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The settings I use, and which works fine when I am not at uni are:

GENERAL: "Automatically connect to this network when it is available" checked

WI-FI: SSID: eduroam, mode: Client, MTU: automatic

WI-FI SECURITY: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise, Authentication: Tunneled TLS, "No CA certificate is required" is checked, Inner authentication: MSCHAP

IPv4 SETTINGS: Automatic (DHCP)

IPv6 SETTINGS: Method: Automatic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a way I can know what's going on and fix it?
    Thank you.

Beans

Re: 16.04 won't connect to a specific network (network works with W10 and android)

Please, launch the nm-applet from a virtual terminal emulator like xterm or lxterminal and post the output when trying to connect to the wireless network . Extra hardware information might also be required - what's the wireless adapter you're using for connection? If it's inside your laptop, it should be displayed in the "lspci -k" command output.

Beans

Re: 16.04 won't connect to a specific network (network works with W10 and android)

I will post the output of the first request asap (might take a few days).

About the second request here is the output:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated Graphics (rev 07)
        DeviceName: Intel Skylake HD Graphics ULT GT2
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Skylake Integrated Graphics
        Kernel driver in use: i915_bpo
        Kernel modules: i915_bpo
    00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 08)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Skylake Processor Thermal Subsystem
        Kernel driver in use: proc_thermal
        Kernel modules: processor_thermal_device
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
    00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI
        Kernel driver in use: mei_me
        Kernel modules: mei_me
    00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d10 (rev f1)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port (rev f1)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port (rev f1)
    00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d18 (rev f1)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller
    00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sunrise Point-LP PMC
    00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl
    00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sunrise Point-LP SMBus
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
    01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 940M] (rev a2)
        DeviceName: NVIDIA N16S-GT-S
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company GM108M [GeForce 940M]
        Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau
    02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS522A PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTS522A PCI Express Card Reader
        Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
        Kernel modules: rtsx_pci
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 81)
        DeviceName: Intel Dual BandWireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless AC 3165
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
        Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 0a)
        DeviceName: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169

Beans

The wireless adapter is a fairly standard Intel dual-band 3165. That's good. I was afraid that you might have been hit by the g mode bug in NetworkManager. Alas, that is not the case. We would need the extra details that NetworkManager manager outputs to the terminal and if possible also the relevant information from "dmesg | tail" while trying to connect to the wireless network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi, please click on the wireless script in my signature, follow the directions for running it and posting the results back here using code tags when you are at the location of the network you are having trouble connecting too..

Beans

Can you let me know how to restart nm-applet? I tried to restart it from terminal to see if it would tell me what is going on when connecting but "sudo service networking restart" doesn't work :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Just reboot the computer then.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; September 19th, 2017 at 03:40 AM.

Beans

I hoped to bеing able to see the connection steps in the terminal while connecting to the wifi