Thread: how to change default mountpoint of external drives /media to any other location in u

Beans

how to change default mountpoint of external drives /media to any other location in u

I tried all the way of udev rules and scripts but its only mount VFAT format. If I attach an NTFS type pd all hd its shows end point not connected.
    Here is the script I used:
    Code:
    KERNEL!="sd[a-z][0-9]", GOTO="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"  
    # Import FS infos  
    IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"  
    # Get a label if present, otherwise specify one  
    ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="", ENV{dir_name}="%E{ID_FS_LABEL}"  
    ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="", ENV{dir_name}="usbhd-%k"  
    # Global mount options  
    ACTION=="add", ENV{mount_options}="relatime"  
    # Filesystem-specific mount options  
    ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat|ntfs", ENV{mount_options}="$env{mount_options},utf8,gid=100,umask=002"  
    # Mount the device  
    ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mkdir -p /media/%E{dir_name}", RUN+="/bin/mount -o $env{mount_options} /dev/%k /media/%E{dir_name}"  
    # Clean up after removal  
    ACTION=="remove", ENV{dir_name}!="", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /media/%E{dir_name}", RUN+="/bin/rmdir /media/%E{dir_name}"  
    # Exit  
    LABEL="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"
    But it only mounts VFAT filesysytems. I also tried github script but it's not working, same result as the script above.
    I just want to change the default mountpoint of usb and external hdd of all format with full permission just like the /media mountpoint.

plz help me out of this...........

is there anyone knows where is the default file of location of automount usb.... there i can put my location replaced to /media to /home/usrname/

is there anyone knows where is the default file of location of automount usb.... there i can put my location replaced to /media to /home/usrname/
    Last edited by vasa1; September 14th, 2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: merged

Beans

Re: how to change default mountpoint of external drives /media to any other location

Ensure that the external disk has a unique Volume name, then put the mount details in /etc/fstab and then the system will mount the drive where you specified.

Beans

Re: how to change default mountpoint of external drives /media to any other location

@Herman - thanks for reply, but i need all external drives mounted on my desired path nt on default path, its a gud idea but u are not make a entry all the time in fstab for all different devices

Beans

I do not know the answer to your question so you might want to consider using something like this until someone comes by that does:

Create a directory in your home folder:
    Code:
    mkdir /home/username/MyMedia
    Install bindfs:
    Code:
    sudo apt install bindfs
    To test how this would work do a temporary mount:
    Code:
    sudo bindfs -o perms=0777 /media/username /home/username/MyMedia
    When you plug in an external device it will mount to two places simultaneous: /media/username/$LABEL and /home/username/MyMedia/$LABEL.

If it does what you want you can add the line to /etc/rc.local above the "exit 0" line ( without the sudo ) or set this up in fstab:

Code:
    /media/username /home/username/MyMedia fuse.bindfs perms=0777 0 0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This is how I mount a USB NTFS drive,
    Use the label of the drives and see this post.

Beans

thanks for reply , @morbius- its a gud one bro but if i want /media/drive_name to /home/username/data so is it possible directly mount with data folder with bind....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rahul146146 View Post
    @cavsfan - but all time i have to add new entry for new external drives..... actually my aim is change default location from system and put my location in that..
    You can name that script what ever you want (I just named it fantom for my purposes) and mount as many external drives as you have.
    This mounts 6 but, you can add as many as you want. Just change what is needed to match your system and drives.

Just create mount points for each and modify this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Mount all external drives
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/<your username>/drive-name-1/
    sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/<your username>/drive-name-2/
    sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /media/<your username>/drive-name-3/
    sudo mount /dev/sde1 /media/<your username>/drive-name-4/
    sudo mount /dev/sdf1 /media/<your username>/drive-name-5/
    sudo mount /dev/sdg1 /media/<your username>/drive-name-6/

exit 0