Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ubuntu Dock, Dash to Dock and Dash to Panel etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Ubuntu Dock, Dash to Dock and Dash to Panel etc

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    That's certainly what they meant.
    I'd expect a fair amount of tweaking/bug fixing to improve user experience & performance on the Desktop, something that has been lacking in Ubuntu for the last couple of years as many devs/employees were occupied elsewhere
    There's the rub. Integrating an unity idea does not necessarily mean that they have to merge an unity concept. it's going to be fun to watch all this take place ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post

I guess I meant to say; how do they collect their statistics to make their declarative ...
    Just my viewpoint..
    The move to Gnome was purely financial, making for a good user experience is ingrained & a little financial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Just my viewpoint..
    The move to Gnome was purely financial, making for a good user experience is ingrained & a little financial
    Of course I realize that absolutely.. but I wasn't questioning your viewpoint, I was questioning context from the link you provided as to how the devs/canonical derive their stats - so , for all those who had worked devotedly on unity, and they get tossed and we think it won't affect ubuntu as a whole? I can see it as perhaps a percursor to seconding all the ubuntu DE derivatives to the community eventually allowing canonical to retire it's support completely. Stay tuned ..

Beans

My viewpoint is that the devs' have to make 17.10 look like Unity, the launcher and the top panel. That's a MD's decision. A company decision. And, both those have to be more Ubuntu, and cannot be played around by outsiders. The Dash2dock fork is for the 17.10, the intermediate release, but not for the LTS release. The LTS release must be there for next 5 years and it should be pure Ubuntu. So, by that time, the devs have to create a dock and a top panel.

You can't just say, "hey if you don't like the default Ubuntu, go and install gnome-session." (https://didrocks.fr/2017/09/11/ubunt...artful-day-11/)

Ubuntu is Ubuntu, it can have derivatives, but not an alternative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have been using Unity since it was first available.
    To customize Unity I needed two packages, Unity Tweak tool and Compiz config manager. Especially Compiz Config Manager wasn't the most stable package.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1219...-due-to-compiz

In my view Ubuntu Artful Aardvark is more stable. I need the Ubuntu Dock Settings and also gnome-tweak-tool for some minor changes, but these are quite easy to understand and use.

In Unity I also installed indicators to get weather information and information about the health of the computer. The gnome extensions to support this is also easy to understand and use. The Indicators that support Steam and Dropbox are installed automatically. Notifications for Spotify works excellent and also allow to skip forward and backward in the playlist.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I was questioning context from the link you provided as to how the devs/canonical derive their stats -
    Not sure there are any stats to date, as far as Canonical's use of focus groups, who knows, those results in the past never jived with me anyway..

I think some things are just plain obvious.

I'll give you a quote from a report I closed as invalid (the causative issues are still valid, the bug's suggestion wasn't really..
    I understand and agree gnome-shell's animations are poor in places. Sub-
    optimal performance of the shell in general makes them sometimes miss
    frames and stutter. Plus the chosen easing curves are also questionable
    (bug 1713021).

But these are all fixable bugs. I would be disappointed if we disabled
    animations to work around the problems rather than fixing the problems.
    (Daniel van Vugt <daniel.van.vugt@canonical.com>
    So I'd see "general ubuntu users" as any run of the mill user & what they get on the default install thru normal usage. In that case any engaged dev can pick up on the problems or deficiencies of gnome-shell.

Beans

So I'd see "general ubuntu users" as any run of the mill user & what they get on the default install thru normal usage.
    Too bad that the devs think "general ubuntu users," as the type, who'd use something without (much) thinking, like those who use cameras just to point and shoot. There'd be quite a few "derivatives" of the default Ubuntu, before long. With Gnome-shell and with some other system extensions (Zorin) and with only Gnome-flashback and so on.

(BTW, I am writing from Ubuntu-Gnome 17.10, which can be just made into an installable live iso. And, such an iso would be a pure gnome based on Ubuntu 17.10. This can be done after the 17.10 final release day, even if Ubuntu-Gnome 17.10 final won't be released officially. The creator/uploader of that iso doesn't even have to maintain it, for all packages would be maintained by Ubuntu itself, as Ubuntu default is now Gnome.)
    Last edited by Chanath; September 16th, 2017 at 09:03 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567