Thread: ALSA unable to list playback devices and issues with PulseAudio default output

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question ALSA unable to list playback devices and issues with PulseAudio default output

I'm in need of help to figure out the proper audio configuration on linux, specifically on my Lubuntu box, running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS and kernel:
    Linux 4.4.0-93-generic #116-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux

The system is fully updated.

Having spent a few hours configuring and troubleshooting both ALSA and Pulseaudio, I've managed to get things working to an acceptable degree, although I'm somewhat stuck on the following two issues:

Firstly, I get the sense that something's wrong with the configuration of ALSA on my system, as I'm currently unable to list any playback devices using:

Code:
    aplay -l

This is the output I get:

HTML Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****ALSA lib conf.c:3357:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.soALSA lib control.c:954:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0aplay: device_list:277: control open (0): No such file or directory`

Should this be considered a problem (and in that case, how do I fix it?) or can it be safely ignored?

The second issue is more of a functional one, being that I would like my TV speakers to be the default output device (sink?), when my headphones aren't connected.
    This only halfway works at the moment, as, after a reboot, I need to plug-in and then unplug my headphones, for sound to be played on the TV speakers (connected via HDMI).
    After re-plugging the headphones, however, auto switching works seamlessly.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong and how to correct it?

Here's a link to a copy of the contents of my Pulseaudio "default.pa" file: https://pastebin.com/KzDfe8a3
    Last edited by scporse; September 12th, 2017 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ALSA unable to list playback devices and issues with PulseAudio default output

Is there really nobody who can help in this matter..?