Thread: Ubuntu installation on Acer Swift 3

Beans

Ubuntu installation on Acer Swift 3

Hi there!
    I am not new using Ubuntu but I am new working with laptops.

Recently, I've installed Ubuntu on my new Acer Swift 3, with the following conclusions and concerns:
    • Even I've read a lot of post that somehow the laptop is not compatible with Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, so far so good. I only updated the BIOS to the latest version (1.05).
    • It came with Windows 10 and I made an installation without delete Win10, but two concern came up:
      1. Somehow the grub menu works fine with Ubuntu, but when I enter to Windows, it reboots the laptop and go directly to Windows, Is this something that can be fixed?
      2. Do you know if warranty is lost if I make a full installation of Ubuntu?

• Following the point that in Internet, the laptop is being shown as non-compatible with Ubuntu. Does somebody know if there are still compatibility issues?

I would really appreciate your response, and sorry for my bad english!

Thanks,
    Nicolás.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu installation on Acer Swift 3

The Swift 3 is a family of computers with varying specs. Do you know what CPU, memory and video yours has?

Beans

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

Below are the specs:

Windows 10 Home
    Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Dual-core (2 núcleos) 2,50 GHz
    8 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
    256 GB SSD

Model is Swift 3 SF314-52.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

With a computer that new, I would suggest Ubuntu 17.04. In a few months, you will need to upgrade to 17.10, and next year, 18.04 -- which will be a long-term release, so you can get off the treadmill.

Acer might not provide warranty service if Ubuntu is the only OS. I'm not sure about this.

Beans

For number 1. you must turn off fast boot in Win 10; goto setting - power option and uncheck fasboot. And you must install grub in /dev/sda. not sda1.

For 2. warranty Win10 maybe will be lost. but warrant laptop/hardware maybe no. its MAYBE.