Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just for Fun What's the "Perfect" Ubuntu Build

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Just for Fun What's the "Perfect" Ubuntu Build

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    The best hardware setup for Ubuntu is a 100-meter high, nuclear-powered battle robot wielding an enormous sword.
    Ubuntu's speed, rock-solid performance, and scalability give it the edge when fighting enormous radiation-spawned monsters or alien invaders.

Sure the hardware is expensive. But its more expensive not to!
    \o/ \o/ \o/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

For me, the ideal build is a system that keeps the multimedia software on a rolling basis, but everything else (system software/firmware/drivers) on a typical LTS with weekly updates or later or earlier according to user settings. Ubuntu Studio is what I'm into, but every time I get it, all the main software is out of date compared to the author websites. And I'm not talking about running betas either. The Ubuntu repos are too slow for me. And yet I get swamped by security updates every day almost even though I've never had a security problem ever. I just want to make music and art, not fuss with downloads. I can't afford my own internet connection, and hotspots aren't convenient where I live. So to be able to have only certain stuff up to date is much more ideal. I don't want 3 year old KDEnLive or 3 year old LMMS, OpenShot, Audacious, MKVtoolNix, etx. Their websites have stuff that's current, why can't the repos be current like that?

Anyways, I'd like a rackmount desktop hardware system that I could carry in a suitcase instead of a laptop or desktop. I need something as modular as a desktop, but as portable as a laptop. I'm tired of the BIOS fussiness and finicky firmware and hardware of laptops. Desktops are much easier to customize and maintain.
    May Peace Prevail for Life in all Realms of Creation --Masahisa Goi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by yoshii View Post
    Their websites have stuff that's current, why can't the repos be current like that?
    if someone did the testing (for the OS compatibility etc.) they probably could have it like that. no one does it so the option is either to use PPA or Snap (if they made it).
    edit: one more thing - stable means packages are frozen, so that other developers know what they have, what they are developing against. imagine devoping for a company that is using 16.04 and then having to update your things everytime a new version of multimedia programs comes out (although multimedia might not be such a big issue). but anyway packages are frozen, so that people know what they will get and what they iwll have installed for the next 5 years. for others there are non LTS releases. Ubuntu is aimed at businesses and organisations that need to plan ahead more than the home users. though i have to say i like LTS as well since i no longer have time to deal with OS changes all the time.

in security patches kernel is the biggest one. i too wish they could patch it differently. as it is now it is not convenient for those with mobile prepaid data plans and similar types of limited or expencive internet access.
    Last edited by mastablasta; September 12th, 2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12