Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is so basic and frustrating - pcmanfm

Beans

This is so basic and frustrating - pcmanfm

This is so basic!

Is I mounted a folder through mount -t nfs and if I disconnect the pc of network without I do "sudo umount path/to/the/folder" my pcmanfm is freeze! Hooo, this is so basic! I am so upset with ubuntu
    I need rebot the system, through terminal or menu, and the script ended freeze with message about unmount drives network....hooo, this is so frustrating.
    How can I reolve this stupid issue? What can I do to if I disconnected the cable network the pcmanfm don't be silly!?

my system is:
    Code:
    xx@xx:~$ uname -a
    Linux enonet 4.10.0-19-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 6 17:04:57 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    xx@xx:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 17.04
    Release:    17.04
    Codename:    zesty
    Thanks

Beans

Re: This is so basic and frustrating - pcmanfm

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar_Oliveira View Post
    This is so basic!

Is I mounted a folder through mount -t nfs and if I disconnect the pc of network without I do "sudo umount path/to/the/folder" my pcmanfm is freeze! Hooo, this is so basic! I am so upset with ubuntu
    I need rebot the system, through terminal or menu, and the script ended freeze with message about unmount drives network....hooo, this is so frustrating.
    How can I reolve this stupid issue? What can I do to if I disconnected the cable network the pcmanfm don't be silly!?
    PCmanFM is a file manager, right? It is made by one guy called PCman, not by Ubuntu. So, I think you should report this problem to him. That when the network connection stops, it should detect this in the software and not lock up. I would be surprised if this is not taken care of.

When a program locks up, you usually don't need to restart the computer, you can just kill the offending program.
    Code:
    sudo apt install htop
    With "htop" you can see the running processes.
    Code:
    htop
    So, when the file manager locks up, you can run "htop", see the "pcmanfm" process and kill it, by hitting F9 and choosing SIGTERM.

In the terminal if you know the name of the process that needs killing, you can use "pkill".
    Code:
    pkill pcmanfm

# if the process is owned by "root" you may need to use "sudo"
    sudo pkill pcmanfm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds like a bug, try reporting it.
    PCManF is the file manager used by Lubuntu and written for LXDE. Not sure how focused they are on making it run on Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by user_of_gnomes View Post
    PCManF is the file manager used by Lubuntu and written for LXDE. Not sure how focused they are on making it run on Ubuntu.
    But I use it on Lubuntu 17.04

Beans

The tip about htop this is awesome. I only know about top, and I don't know how works with him!
    I will try report this issue to pcmanfm. I found it this website: https://forum.lxde.org/viewforum.php?f=22 I will try put my question on this community!

Thanks

Beans

You are under the mistaken impression that Lubuntu and Ubuntu are different. They are not, they are the same system. The only thing that changes is basically the outer layer, the one that shows you the desktop when you log in. As long as the dependency libraries are installed in either system, the programs should run.

In particular, PCmanFM is made with the GTK+2 libraries, so these need to be installed. As long as they are present, the software should run. There is also a Qt version for PCmanFM, so for this, the Qt libraries should be installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vocx View Post
    You are under the mistaken impression that Lubuntu and Ubuntu are different. They are not, they are the same system. The only thing that changes is basically the outer layer, the one that shows you the desktop when you log in. As long as the dependency libraries are installed in either system, the programs should run.

In particular, PCmanFM is made with the GTK+2 libraries, so these need to be installed. As long as they are present, the software should run. There is also a Qt version for PCmanFM, so for this, the Qt libraries should be installed.
    I actually wasn't under that impression but I was mistaken in thinking he had installed it manually on an Ubuntu installation.

Beans

I actually wasn't under that impression but I was mistaken in thinking he had installed it manually on an Ubuntu installation.
    But that's exactly what you are implying when you say "installing manually in Ubuntu".

Whether it is installed on Lubuntu or in Ubuntu is not a concern.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Or just install one of several other file managers for Linux such as "Sunflower" . . . problemo resuelto

http://www.noobslab.com/2016/08/are-...tive-file.html
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

I like the pcmanfm because this is simply and light! I have a 8Gb of the ram but I like the purpose of the Lubuntu, faster, light and minimalist!

I need re-upgrade to the version 16.04 LTS. Because I have amount of the problems with this distribution. The pcmanfm freeze because I don't unmount the drives I think this is stupid! I don't really understand why this happen, maybe this is a issue of the system which I can't see/understand. But with this version of the system I have problem with the firefox. Suddenly the firefox freeze and I can't turn off the browser or kill the process. After some minutes the all system freeze and I need reboot the pc through the button! This is very frustration!

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast