Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R Pi: Using an SD card with reader for OS

Beans

Re: R Pi: Using an SD card with reader for OS

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo View Post
    I'd suggest if you are planning on using the older systems, you look around for some used hard drives, I have several sitting in a box in the 400GB - 500GB range that I haven't found a use for yet. Check out local LUGS or other computer clubs to see if there is anyone willing to help you out.
    Thanks, I have more then enough hard drives as of the moment. The reason for choosing the micro SD cards were for the speed of setting up a unit. It might be faster to clone a MicroSD card than a hard disk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    I guess it depends what your company does with the Win XP / RPi computers, If you are making lots of money at it, please let me know of any IPO.

Good thread: https://superuser.com/questions/1735...-of-an-sd-card

For the record I bricked a 2TB and a 4TB mechanical drive plugged into my RPi a month ago, nothing is perfect.
    Thank you so much. I am sorry to hear about your bricked devices. Did you figure out what bricked your 2TB and 4TB hard drive? Did you do a process (like a command) which broke it, or do you think the RPi just isn't suited for that kind of work? I was kinda thinking that the RPi can work as a NAS... Just install SAMBA on it, then put in a large USB hard disk... With your comment though, I am starting to think it might not be a good idea.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    Thank you for bearing with me and sorry for my vague question. I built a lot of RPi units to replace our Windows based XP computers. They will only use browser, so its quite light work for the RPis and the PCs would be overkill...

Now, what would I do with the old Windows XP based computers? Should I junk them? Well, I decided that some of them can be reused by installing Ubuntu Mate on them and making them look and fell just like the RPis. In this case, whether our staff uses the PCs or the RPis, they will have the same ecosystem. So my questions were on the PCs converted to run Ubuntu. Should I use 32-bit or 64-bit? Is it adviceable to boot them off a USB card reader instead of a hard disk (since the micro SD cards are faster to setup are faster to setup), etc.

Thank you so much. After going through some comments I realize that I should have versed my questions more clearly.
    LOL. Okay, now I understand.

So, eh, my official answer is, eh, install 64-bit Ubuntu, and run it from the hard drive. Why not SD card? Well, I don't know. Maybe it can be done as you wish but I haven't done it myself, so I wouldn't know if it'd be better in any way. As long as you keep your Ubuntu in a minimal state, that is, without too many packages, I think you should be able to clone the drive relatively fast.

There is an ubuntu-minimal image that probably you can try. You may start with no desktop, then add MATE, then the file manager, then the browser, and so on. That is, you start with the minimum, and build your system with only the things you need. Probably it will only take about 4 GB of hard disk space, or about the same as the basic Raspberry Pi image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    Thank you so much. I am sorry to hear about your bricked devices. Did you figure out what bricked your 2TB and 4TB hard drive? Did you do a process (like a command) which broke it, or do you think the RPi just isn't suited for that kind of work? I was kinda thinking that the RPi can work as a NAS... Just install SAMBA on it, then put in a large USB hard disk... With your comment though, I am starting to think it might not be a good idea.
    The Hard drives might have broke due to me not completely understanding if the RPi was running or not when yanking them out.
    Since then I have only connected Mechanical HDD's to the RPi through wireless and have not had any problems.

Beans

I recently plugged in 2 USB hard drives into one of my RPi 3 to copy files from one hard disk to the other. Now one hard disk was a Tourno brand USB hard disk while the other one was one was an older hard disk which I just placed inside a USB casing. What I noticed was that in many times, the Tourno hard disk would sound an alarm indicating that it wasn't receiving enough power. The hard disk I assembled using the USB casing did not sound an alarm most probably because the USB kit it came in didn't have an alarm circuit and buzzer. So its possible that my assembled hard disk may also be suffering from a low power state but did not give any indication.

Now a few years ago, I also encountered this problem with a seagate external hard disk. All the files which I wrote on the Hard Disk when it was alarming due o low power also disappeared.

My theory is that prolonged use of these hard disks in low power states will end up destroying them, and this could have been what bricked your hard disks. I miss those external hard drives with cables that had 2 USB male plugs on one end (1 or data and power plus a second only for power). With these cables, we can plug the hard disk to a separate USB power supply. The other option now would be to use a USB powered hub.

Beans

This is very good. Thanks so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

External drive enclosures that use laptop drives typically work fine powered by USB. But since a drive typically uses 5V 1A and USB 2.0 spec's only require it to provide 500 mA (0.5A), some include a USB cable with 2 USB plugs for the computer end (2x500 mA).

I think external desktop drives usually include a power supply. I have a USB/eSATA drive caddy that has its own power supply, but it is 2 slots, and can clone one drive to another without even being connected to a computer. But it is an old one and its PSU only provides 5V & 12V, so it does not work for 3.3V 1.7A mSATA SSD in SATA adapter (which works in any SATA PC or laptop). If you clone any drive or SD/microSD, you should make sure that hostname on each is unique (and LAN IP if static). It would likely help to have unique UUID for partitions on them too if more than one is connected to same computer at a time at some point, but that would require updating that in /etc/fstab & /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

If you look at suggestions for what to do with SSD's it can give some clues that you might implement for SD/microSD, like disabling cache for firefox or something for chrome browser. For a tablet PC that came with Win7 Pro on 32 GB SSD, booting Ubuntu from 32 GB SD (slot internally USB connected), I have no swap and forget if I stuck to ext2 filesystem (no journal). But it is 2 GB with slow AMD C-50 2-core 1 GHz, so I do not use it very often (used to use it for field programming electronic controllers in awkward locations underground with Windows software). But I am unemployed or retired now (haven't decided).
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12