Thread: As a new user how can I help?

Beans

Question As a new user how can I help?

Hello I am a new user, and generally new to Linux. I don't want to just ask questions all the time and never give anything in return.
    Is there any way as a new member and Linux user that I can make an appreciable contribution to these forums?
    Open to suggestions.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: As a new user how can I help?

Welcome to the forum.

One possibility is to watch for problems similar to those you have experienced, and use what you learned while you endeavoured to solve them.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

small.wilson' Hello;

The best help here on the forum is to respond to others request for assistance and aid . The load can get heavy and too many times there is a lag in a pertinent response . Join in, we are a friendly bunch .

Then at large for the community:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post13206678 <- Find-A-Task .

'buntu
    all in this together
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

Bear in mind that many of us who have been here on the Forums for many years and have been using Linux since the 90s (and Unix since the 70s!) do not know everything there is to know. We are all new to some aspects of this. I think I still learn more here than I help. So don't feel like you have to rush. Watch, learn, experiment.

Create a virtual machine using Virtual Box or the like. When you see someone with a problem, follow the discussion and see if you can execute the solution. If you break your virtual machine, no big loss. Just reinstall or recover a snapshot. We have all learned more from breaking our systems than from not doing so.

Just don't do the experimentation on your physical machine!

Don't worry if you are asking more questions than providing more answers. The Community benefits every time you ask a question and a solution is found. You are still helping the community in that way.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Hello and welcome to the forums, The best advise I can give you is to watch for those problems that arise and try to research answers for them. There may be one topic you are good at and may want to focus on that in order to advance your Linux skills. Learning Linux is an on going thing and we will never really know everything, as long as we know were to look for answers things may get easier

Beans

Smile Re: As a new user how can I help?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Hello!

Bear in mind that many of us who have been here on the Forums for many years and have been using Linux since the 90s (and Unix since the 70s!) do not know everything there is to know. We are all new to some aspects of this. I think I still learn more here than I help. So don't feel like you have to rush. Watch, learn, experiment.

Create a virtual machine using Virtual Box or the like. When you see someone with a problem, follow the discussion and see if you can execute the solution. If you break your virtual machine, no big loss. Just reinstall or recover a snapshot. We have all learned more from breaking our systems than from not doing so.

Just don't do the experimentation on your physical machine!

Don't worry if you are asking more questions than providing more answers. The Community benefits every time you ask a question and a solution is found. You are still helping the community in that way.
    Thank you, that was very helpful, I'll definitely take your advise, and experiment with a virtual machine for solving problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums, The best advise I can give you is to watch for those problems that arise and try to research answers for them. There may be one topic you are good at and may want to focus on that in order to advance your Linux skills. Learning Linux is an on going thing and we will never really know everything, as long as we know were to look for answers things may get easier
    Thanks for your response, will do.

Beans

Red face Re: As a new user how can I help?

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

One possibility is to watch for problems similar to those you have experienced, and use what you learned while you endeavoured to solve them.
    Sounds like a plan, I'll do what I can to help with that load. Thanks!

Beans

Wink Re: As a new user how can I help?

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    small.wilson' Hello;

The best help here on the forum is to respond to others request for assistance and aid . The load can get heavy and too many times there is a lag in a pertinent response . Join in, we are a friendly bunch .

Then at large for the community:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post13206678 <- Find-A-Task .
    'buntu
    all in this together
    I can see that you guys are very friendly, and I am glad for that, I'll try to make an impact where I can, thank your for your advice.