Thread: Problem saving new swap partition using /etc/fstab/ "access denined'

Beans

Question Problem saving new swap partition using /etc/fstab/ "access denined'

When I initially installed Ubuntu I failed to create a swap partition during the instillation, so I did so using the terminal.
    My problem is when attempting to save my changes so I will not have to make them again every time I restart my computer,
    I get this permission denied error:

Code:
    hagile@eli-pc:~$ sudo -s
    [sudo] password for hagile: 
    root@eli-pc:~# free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           7.3G        2.2G        3.5G         36M        1.5G        4.7G
    Swap:           13G          0B         13G
    root@eli-pc:~# /etc/fstab
    bash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied
    I am a newer Linux user.
    I also hope this is the appropriate forum, please forgive me if it is not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Problem saving new swap partition using /etc/fstab/ "access denined'

Welcome to the forums, small.wilson

You are posting in the proper forum.

The following link might be of assistance: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Merely typing into bash:
    Code:
    /etc/fstab
    …will not do anything for you. In this case, the "Permission denied" error is misleading. The real problem is that you're invoking fstab, and fstab is designed to be executed at boot; not from an interactive terminal session.

If you are trying to edit fstab:
    1. you don't need:
      Code:
      sudo -s
    2. the proper command is:
      Code:
      sudo nano /etc/fstab

Beans

Re: Problem saving new swap partition using /etc/fstab/ "access denined'

Quote Originally Posted by small.wilson View Post
    When I initially installed Ubuntu I failed to create a swap partition during the instillation, so I did so using the terminal.
    My problem is when attempting to save my changes so I will not have to make them again every time I restart my computer,
    I get this permission denied error:
    How exactly did you create a swap partition from the terminal? Which guide did you follow?

Code:
    root@eli-pc:~# /etc/fstab
    bash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied
    I am a newer Linux user.
    I also hope this is the appropriate forum, please forgive me if it is not.
    What you are attempting to do here is run the "/etc/fstab" file as if it were a program. This file is not a program, it should not even have execute permissions.
    Code:
    wilson@eli-pc:~$ ls -alh /etc/fstab
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.7K Jul 11 17:39 /etc/fstab
    What this file does is pass its information as arguments to the "mount" command. If the "/etc/fstab" file has the appropriate line for swap, you can mount the swap partition using mount.
    Code:
    # inside "/etc/fstab"

# swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation
    UUID=7c0bb94d-b555-4d08-87e1-d784d5379f79 none            swap    sw              0       0
    Code:
    # mount all partitions defined in the "/etc/fstab" file
    sudo mount -a
    The "/etc/fstab" file also defines which partitions will be mounted during boot, so your swap partition should also be mounted automatically when you reboot and start your system again.

Also, don't use "sudo -s" and then type a bunch of commands. You will be running all these commands with root privileges, but you don't want to run a lot of stuff with root. It's better to use "sudo" with the specific command you want to use, like "mount".

Beans
    Quote Originally Posted by vocx View Post
    How exactly did you create a swap partition from the terminal? Which guide did you follow?

What you are attempting to do here is run the "/etc/fstab" file as if it were a program. This file is not a program, it should not even have execute permissions.
    Code:
    wilson@eli-pc:~$ ls -alh /etc/fstab
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.7K Jul 11 17:39 /etc/fstab
    What this file does is pass its information as arguments to the "mount" command. If the "/etc/fstab" file has the appropriate line for swap, you can mount the swap partition using mount.
    Code:
    # inside "/etc/fstab"

# swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation
    UUID=7c0bb94d-b555-4d08-87e1-d784d5379f79 none            swap    sw              0       0
    Code:
    # mount all partitions defined in the "/etc/fstab" file
    sudo mount -a
    The "/etc/fstab" file also defines which partitions will be mounted during boot, so your swap partition should also be mounted automatically when you reboot and start your system again.

Also, don't use "sudo -s" and then type a bunch of commands. You will be running all these commands with root privileges, but you don't want to run a lot of stuff with root. It's better to use "sudo" with the specific command you want to use, like "mount".
    Thank you for your response, I followed the link you provided carefully, along with your advice it helped solve my problem, thank you very much. I now know the appropriate setting to invoke fstab.

Thank you for your reply Vocx, you've shown me alot, this is the guide I used I followed those steps until I ran into the error.:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-space-on-ubuntu-16-04

Last edited by deadflowr; August 13th, 2017 at 04:04 AM. Reason: merged posts