Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem on generating a Key Pair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem on generating a Key Pair

The LAMP components seem to be working fine so I would say all is good. I would like to point out two things:

1. You used the guided LVM method during installation. That can sometimes created very small /boot partition, so watch out not to fill it 100% by installing too many kernels without removing the older ones.

2. Your original question about the ssh keys. You create the private key on the client computer (the one you will be connecting from), and then copy it to the server with ssh-copy-id. You don't need to create any key pair on the server itself unless you plan to connectfrom it to other computers. Just to make that clear...
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Re: Problem on generating a Key Pair

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    The LAMP components seem to be working fine so I would say all is good. I would like to point out two things:

1. You used the guided LVM method during installation. That can sometimes created very small /boot partition, so watch out not to fill it 100% by installing too many kernels without removing the older ones.
    I have encountered such a problem before. Thanks

2. Your original question about the ssh keys. You create the private key on the client computer (the one you will be connecting from), and then copy it to the server with ssh-copy-id. You don't need to create any key pair on the server itself unless you plan to connectfrom it to other computers. Just to make that clear...
    Advice noted and thanks

Regards
    satimis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12