Thread: Change "Applications" click behavior?

Beans

Question Change "Applications" click behavior?

I really should be posting this in the new users area but being that it is specific to Gnome 3 I thought Desktop Environments might be more accurate.

I have recently installed Ubuntu 17.04 with the Gnome 3 desktop. There is something that I would like to change. There is an "Applications" button/shortcut/something in the top left. When you click it (or hit the Windows key) it launches a side menu. On that side menu there is a button/icon with 9 dots. If you click that you get the list of Recent Applications (with the option of viewing All Applications).

Is there a way to have the clicking of the top-left "Applications" (word, not the 9 buttons) launch the list of Recent Applications (or All Applications). Basically I want to have the main Applications button not show the left-side dock.

Is this possible? Is it easily explained to a linux/gnome user? Thank you to anyone that can help.

ACG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Change "Applications" click behavior?

Hello and Welcome

There are extensions that can change behavior in the gnome shell available in the repository. I would start with the standard package and after logging out and back in you can view them in the gnome tweak tool . You can replace the activities button with a standard menu. Dash to dock is a useful extension as well.

Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-shell-extensions
    https://extensions.gnome.org
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Change "Applications" click behavior?

Adding to Frogs Hair's post, there is an extension that will open the overlay in application view.
    You can use Super+s for window spread.
    Start Overlay in Application View

This is a list of some of the extensions I use.
    Dash to Dock
    CustomCorner
    Pixel Saver
    TopIcons Plus

Desktop with permanent dock and a "Show Applications" launcher at the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images