Thread: How to not use Adobe Flash

Beans

How to not use Adobe Flash

Considering Adobe's Flash is such a security concern, what is the best way to have one's system setup so that Flash is not used or accessed when surfing the internet?

Is it better to install adobe-flashplugin than have the default program installed?

Are there more secure versions out there?

Looking for comments on security and how to cope with something as buggy as Adobe Flash or its alternatives.

Beans

Re: How to not use Adobe Flash

In chrome you can change a couple of settings from the address bar.
    Disable flash:
    Code:
    chrome://settings/content/flash
    and
    Enable the option "prefer-html-over-flash":
    Code:
    chrome://flags/#prefer-html-over-flash
    If you run across a site that requires flash you can enable it by clicking on the left side of the address bar.
    It's rare that I need/want to enable flash.
    Last edited by again?; August 9th, 2017 at 01:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you are totally paranoid you could also uninstall any version of flash you have at present.

I have to keep it for a few (very few these days) sites that have still to move to html5, and I use flashblock, a browser add-on which suits my use of browsers, to stop automatic flash use on any site. With that I need to click on individual flash instances on a site for them to play, better than allowing a site to play flash by white-listing as some sites can have many flash instances in the same window.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; August 9th, 2017 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Keep your system up to date and set firefox to Ask before playing flash. Then you can either ignore it asking you, chose to show it then, or always show it for that site. I do that just because I got fed up with video ads playing spontaneously.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers