Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: problem with a printer settings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: problem with a printer settings

Just throwing this in: you do NOT need 'localhost:631/admin'. No need. 'localhost:631' is it and if that doesn't get you a log in pop up, something is amiss.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Just throwing this in: you do NOT need 'localhost:631/admin'. No need. 'localhost:631' is it and if that doesn't get you a log in pop up, something is amiss.
    Why exactly is this required, again?

I've never accessed the CUPS webserver. Pretty much like oldsoundguy, I cannot actually do it. My system doesn't find the address. Nevertheless, I've never had a problem printing or scanning. I'm using HPLIP and an HP printer. So, basically, I have no problems, I just find it curious that people are suggesting this. I didn't even knew such webserver existed.

In my system there seem to be two services for CUPS. Maybe they need to be restarted.
    Code:
    sudo service cups restart
    sudo service cups-browsed restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The cups admin webpage is an alternative to all the other preference setting applets for printing. It's only used when you don't get results with other applets. It's also useful for setting different "defaults" from usual. Example, setting A4 as default paper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Please do not create duplicate posts, if you want to add more information just edit your original post.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

OK ... got into cups it is http://localhost:631.
    tried a second install of the printer and it will not allow manual duplexing ... I see another suggestion that I will follow.
    Right now have to break from this and get out and stock up as this town is in the process of becoming a ZOO .. it is called "Solar Eclipse" and the traffic is already getting out of hand.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    The cups admin webpage is an alternative to all the other preference setting applets for printing. It's only used when you don't get results with other applets.
    This is not really accurate. Some people ONLY use CUPS and never use other apps. Not because they have to, but because they want to. I used to install and configure all my printers using CUPS only. Didn't have a printer app installed. (I used to only install the Ubuntu minimal install and build it up from there, so didn't add 'Printers'. No need.)

Server people use it to communicate remotely with printers, regular users use it to install and configure printers. No way is it a 'last resort' for everyone, but if your printer is not showing in CUPS, then something's amiss. So yes, in that respect, you can certainly use it to troubleshoot.

@OP: Great you managed to get somewhere with CUPS. Just wondering; what's so special about a solar eclipse, apart from the fact that those are special? Why the zoo in the streets?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 16th, 2017 at 04:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I live in Salem, Oregon. and the "path" literally bisects my back yard! Predicted that there will be 1,000,000+ people with their cars visiting the state and they need to have a place to stay and eat .. yet alone any problems. Governor Kate has called out The National Guard to assist. We have a two bridge east west crossing of the Willamette river (5 lanes on each bridge) and they are going to shut them down and turn it over to pedestrians. Motel rooms are all filled up, so they opened all of our city parks for camping. (those motel rooms went for an average price of $700.00!!)

as to the CUPS issue .. it did not allow duplexing .... so, that pretty well shuts things down there .. I still can use the printer, but not all of the features.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123