Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Coast of Florida
    Beans
    4,613
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

    Nice 3togo, I wonder why Xubuntu has no ties to or options for Wayland. Not that I want it but, I thought 17.10 was at least partly about switching to Wayland from X.org.
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen on Arch Linux
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    1,180
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

    @Cavsfan, many times when we talk about "Ubuntu", we are talking about the default desktop flavor of Ubuntu.

    For instance, another new feature in Ubuntu 17.10 is Captive Portal support but only the Ubuntu (GNOME) desktop has integrated a mini-browser for the feature to work.

    Only 2 desktop environments support Wayland: GNOME and KDE. It sounds like the MATE developers are hoping to use Mir to get Wayland support a bit quicker. If that works, I expect Xfce and others to use that method too.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Coast of Florida
    Beans
    4,613
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

    Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    @Cavsfan, many times when we talk about "Ubuntu", we are talking about the default desktop flavor of Ubuntu.

    For instance, another new feature in Ubuntu 17.10 is Captive Portal support but only the Ubuntu (GNOME) desktop has integrated a mini-browser for the feature to work.

    Only 2 desktop environments support Wayland: GNOME and KDE. It sounds like the MATE developers are hoping to use Mir to get Wayland support a bit quicker. If that works, I expect Xfce and others to use that method too.
    Thank you very much for that explanation. That makes sense.
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen on Arch Linux
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Huntingdon U.K.
    Beans
    49

    Re: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

    I just installed Ubuntu 17.10 from Ubuntu website and installed synaptic as I always do with every install.
    For the first time ever it refused to run and I found this link when I searched the error given in terminal. Is this a bug that needs reported because surely this should run straightaway after install like it always has done until this new 17.10 version.
    User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Coast of Florida
    Beans
    4,613
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 17.10 from Ubuntu website and installed synaptic as I always do with every install.
    For the first time ever it refused to run and I found this link when I searched the error given in terminal. Is this a bug that needs reported because surely this should run straightaway after install like it always has done until this new 17.10 version.
    Wayland is the default and certain things do not work without the patch mentioned in post #2 of this thread.

    If you login in with an X.org session, it will work as expected.
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen on Arch Linux
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    12,540

    Re: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

    Moved to General Help.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spain
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    This has been disused a few times now here.
    Enter this in the terminal:
    Code:
    xhost +si:localuser:root
    This will give synaptic a temporary permission for this session only.
    This thread would be a better fit in Ubuntu Development Version.
    Thanks it works perfectly!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Beans
    3

    Re: Synaptic not launching on Ubuntu 17.10

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    This has been disused a few times now here.
    Enter this in the terminal:
    Code:
    xhost +si:localuser:root
    This will give synaptic a temporary permission for this session only.
    This thread would be a better fit in Ubuntu Development Version.
    Reached Release.
    Is there a permanent solution or do I have to wait until developers update the software a.k.a. fix the error?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •