Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I delete Lubuntu live OS from USB thumb drive?

Beans

How do I delete Lubuntu live OS from USB thumb drive?

All,

I finally figured out that I can boot off the USB of my PC which is 9 years old. I have two thumb drives, 8GB and 16 GB. So I made two USB thumb drives with a copy of Lubuntu on each of them using the startup disk creator to allow a live boot off a USB port. Both thumb drives worked great as live boots.

I want to now (1) delete the Lubuntu OS off of the drives and return them to use as regular thumb drives, OR (2) alternatively I want to allow a live boot USB with persistence & that also has the capability to be used for storage of files as a regular thumb drive.

Naiively I tried to delete Lubuntu from the 8GB drive while in PCManFM. It tried, but gave me error messages. Even though the files on the 8GB drive may have changed some, I can still live boot my PC off the 8GB drive.

I gather that I have to use GParted (or similar more advanced software) to do what I want, but I get some error messages (see attached screen shots). It appears, for example, that there is a difference in physical block size in terms of bytes in the 8GB drive as assessed by Linux or the "driver descriptor." I know you have to be careful with GParted or you can mess things up badly.

QUESTION: Can anybody tell me how to accomplish what I want to do?

Thanks,

A.

G-partedMessage3.jpgG-partedMessage4.jpg
    8GB-USB-Drive.jpgG-partedMessage.jpgG-partedMessage2.jpg
    Last edited by AbleTassie; July 22nd, 2017 at 04:33 AM.

Beans

Re: How do I delete Lubuntu live OS from USB thumb drive?

plug it into the PC, open your native file manager, and right click the USB drive,and format like you would on windows

Beans

I use mkusb for dealing with pen drives. Its developer is sudodus who's readily available to answer any difficulties you may encounter.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I use mkusb for dealing with pen drives. Its developer is sudodus who's readily available to answer any difficulties you may encounter.
    Yes, if you need help to use mkusb, I'm here.

It should work well along both routes,

(1) delete the Lubuntu OS off of the drives and return them to use as regular thumb drives, OR

(2) alternatively I want to allow a live boot USB with persistence & that also has the capability to be used for storage of files as a regular thumb drive.

Beans

You can easily us GParted to simply Create New Partition Table on the usb. That option is under the Device tab on GParted. If you have multiple hard drives/usb's attached, make sure you have the correct one selected from the drop down arrow in the upper right of the GParted window. You would need to not be using the usb you are trying to create the new partition table on and the same is you are going to format it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

obviously you can't tdelete it if it is in use (e.g. you ran the live OS form it and now you would like to delete it in same session). well actually maybe you could but it needs some command line magic (like unmounting and possibly turning the deksotp off).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans

Thanks for your suggestions everybody. If I need to reformat the drives to FAT32 as they were before making them into live bootable USBs, can I do this with GParted or mkusb or both?

Warmango, what is the "native file manager"? If it is PCManFM that is in Lubuntu, I tried what you suggested and it did not work as far as I can tell.

Thanks again,

A.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AbleTassie View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions everybody. If I need to reformat the drives to FAT32 as they were before making them into live bootable USBs, can I do this with GParted or mkusb or both?

Warmango, what is the "native file manager"? If it is PCManFM that is in Lubuntu, I tried what you suggested and it did not work as far as I can tell.

Thanks again,

A.
    I don't know about Lubuntu, but in Ubuntu there is a disk utility, just open it, it will detect your usb drive and choose reformat in the menu. You can always use gparted, but it is not installed by default so you need to install it. Start gparted, click "device" to locate your usb drive (it has to be plugged in of course) and then right click > "format to". Just make sure you have the correct drive, refromating will wipe everything.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AbleTassie View Post

Thanks again,

A.
    You can do it with mkusb. And in many cases (but not always) you can do it with gparted and Disks alias gnome-disks.

If mkusb fails, I am afraid, that the USB pendrive is damaged. See this link, Pendrive lifetime
    Last edited by sudodus; July 19th, 2017 at 08:41 PM.

Beans

I am in kind of a hurry right now and will experiment with GParted and mkusb soon -- thanks to everybody for the info about them. But I would like to use one USB drive as soon as possible (ASAP). I did what MonkeyBrain suggested using the default disk utility in Lubunut, see screen shot that shows the formatting commands I asked for. But after formatting the USB drive is not sensed or mounted by the PCManFM for some reason. The USB drive is still sensed by the PC however (again see screen shot after formatting).

QUESTION: What more must I do for the thumbdrive to be sensed by PCManFM so that I can copy and paste to (and from) it.

Thanks,

A.

DiskFormat.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast