Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I delete Lubuntu live OS from USB thumb drive?

Beans

Re: How do I delete Lubuntu live OS from USB thumb drive?

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post

Partition #1 is made for storage and transfer of data for and between linux and Windows. The whole layout is made to work in many computers running in both BIOS and UEFI mode. And it is set up automatically with only a few options for you (the end user) to set, so it is easy to make something that works.
    Thank you Sudodus,

I want to make a USB thumb drive with live boot capability, persistence and data storage/transfer between computers in as simple a way as possible. Can you briefly tell me what to do in mkusb?

I want to do this so that I can sign onto public wifi with my laptop in as secure a way as possible, but also use the thumb drive for standard storage and transfer of files, perhaps to a library PC as well. I may also want to use a VPN, the "Firejail" sandboxing application and a service like OpenDNS for interacting with the internet when on public wifi.
    I have two thumb drives, and 8GB and a 16 GB, but could buy larger ones, e.g., 32GB. Is there a preferred size?

What do you mean by each USB boot live session? In a persistent live system you can install (and upgrade) application programs, for example Firefox, and the installed and/or upgraded version will persist, in other words, it will be there after reboot or shutdown and cold boot.

But it is very important that you allow the system to reboot and shutdown completely, give it time to flush the buffers in other words write the data to the 'casper-rw' partition completely. If you unplug the USB pendrive too early, the system will be damaged.
    OK, I will be careful. In a straight live boot without persistence, nothing can be written to the thumb drive, so I assume there is some increased risk of errant code, viruses, malware being written to the thumb drive when it is set up for persistence. Is this correct?

But it is not possible to use an upgraded linux kernel, because the kernel is started before the overlay is activated. In general, you should not update & upgrade a persistent live system completely like you do with an installed system.
    OK thanks for the instruction. I will only update manually a few apps, like Firefox and Libre Office and infrequently. I can see now that it is the kernel that is unchanged on the thumb drive, even if it is set up for persistence. Only the data in a partition for persistence can be changed. (And, of course, data in a partition that is set up for regular data storage and transfer, e.g in both Linux and Windows) can be also changed.)

Thanks again,

A.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; July 22nd, 2017 at 04:55 AM.

Beans

While it maybe convenient for a poster to have just one thread for topics that could very well deserve a new thread of their own, the topics in the thread that aren't reflected in the thread's title may be missed by others who feel that the thread's title doesn't reflect their interest.

For this reason, I suggest that each topic, even if somewhat related, has its own thread and that each thread be given a nice descriptive title

Beans

Thanks Vasa,

I will mark this thread as SOLVED.

A.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; July 22nd, 2017 at 05:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AbleTassie View Post
    Thank you Sudodus,

I want to make a USB thumb drive with live boot capability, persistence and data storage/transfer between computers in as simple a way as possible. Can you briefly tell me what to do in mkusb?
    I wrote the mkusb quick start manual for this purpose, see particularly the pages 23-25.

You find the "full description" at the following links,

help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/persistent

Please ask specific questions, if you need more help.
    I want to do this so that I can sign onto public wifi with my laptop in as secure a way as possible, but also use the thumb drive for standard storage and transfer of files, perhaps to a library PC as well. I may also want to use a VPN, the "Firejail" sandboxing application and a service like OpenDNS for interacting with the internet when on public wifi.
    I have two thumb drives, and 8GB and a 16 GB, but could buy larger ones, e.g., 32GB. Is there a preferred size?
    As you have already agreed with @vasa, it is better to discuss these items in a separate thread.
    OK, I will be careful. In a straight live boot without persistence, nothing can be written to the thumb drive, so I assume there is some increased risk of errant code, viruses, malware being written to the thumb drive when it is set up for persistence. Is this correct?
    Yes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123