Thread: [lubuntu] Screen keeps flickering - graphics card broken?

Beans

[lubuntu] Screen keeps flickering - graphics card broken?

I've just installed Lubuntu on an old laptop, and while everything worked fine while I was live booting the old thing and also during the first two boots, now the screen keeps flickering and won't stop. I've run a few commands that I found in another thread which I'm attaching here, but I would be really thankful for some more advice on how to fix this issue.

I've live booted the machine with different OS before I finally decided on Lubuntu, and the problem never arose. Now I'm worried the graphics card might be giving out on me (it is a fairly old machine).

Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=zesty
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 17.04"
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux neridi 4.10.0-26-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 27 09:29:33 UTC 2017 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 
    vga01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV530/M56-P [Mobility Radeon X1600] [1002:71c5]
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Compaq nx9420 Notebook [103c:309f]
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Code:
    env | grep DESK
    DESKTOP_SESSION=Lubuntu
    XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=Lubuntu
    XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=LXDE

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: [lubuntu] Screen keeps flickering - graphics card broken?

Salutations!

any reason you want to run 17.04 instead of 16.04 lts!

i don't see a reason yet that indicate a GPU card fault.. also is the CPU an Intel with an integrated built-in GPU!

i suggest you try 16.04 , or install kernel 4.4, or 4.8 in 17.04 and test the behavior there .
    GNU / Linux Being a newbie is no excuse for being lazy! I'm only exuding positive energy, And Always Learning Something. IRC'in Freenode #ubuntu / sary SSHin' with mosh