Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MS Office in Wine or VirtualBox?

Beans

Re: MS Office in Wine or VirtualBox?

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Sending files in pdf format would be more conveninet.
    Not always convenient, especially when you see an error on the PDF file and wish to correct it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Not in my experience. At work they send me docx and xslx and I open just fine. OP said he is a casual user so IMO there is no need for MSO until he runs into problems.
    Opening them is fine if you just want to read them, but not if you want to edit them and have them come out with the same formatting in MS Office.

My opinion: give wine a try first. It has worked pretty well for me in the past with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (with the one exception being that I could never get videos to work right in Powerpoint). VirtualBox will definitely work, but then you need to deal with the hassle and overhead of running a Windows VM (slow updates, big chunk of hard drive space reserved, etc.).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ardouronerous View Post
    Not always convenient, especially when you see an error on the PDF file and wish to correct it.
    That's partly the aim of pdf's: to prevent the recipient from altering them

Of course, if there are lawyers comfortable with clients altering their files, that's fine then.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ardouronerous View Post
    Are you sure the .docx files comes out okay? No paragraphs misaligned or anything?

Because this user claims to have problems similar to mine: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/quest...format-easily/

None. But then I don't have exotically formatted docx files and my LO is always up to date.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    Opening them is fine if you just want to read them, but not if you want to edit them and have them come out with the same formatting in MS Office.
    That depends on what OP means by "casual user". If you do a lot of editing and going back and forth it may not fall into my definition of that. I have to only do some small editing on not very complicated documents and never had a problem. Now I basically send them out in .odf if I write something or output something from scratch. MSO is supposed to work with that as they claim. No one has complained.

Also, some people use Office only for personal (non business related) purposes and they don't really have to use MSO's formats. Why perpetuate closed formats unnecessarily? For things like resume you can always print to pdf.

Beans

I agree about closed formats. I don't use MS Office at all anymore, except at work. Whether that's a good solution for the OP depends on what he means by "casual user," as you said. In my experience, you don't need to do heavy editing to have formatting issues going back and forth. The same is true for going back and forth between different versions of Office, too.
    Last edited by montag dp; July 17th, 2017 at 10:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12