Thread: Booting from USB on PowerMac G5 through OpenFirmware

Beans

Unhappy Booting from USB on PowerMac G5 through OpenFirmware

Hello!

I have created a USB installer of the PPC version of Ubuntu Mate. I am having trouble booting the usb from OpenFirmware, as I'm not quite sure how to read it. I understand that I must use a command such as "boot usb0/disk@1:2,\\yaboot" to boot off of the USB, but the command doesn't work, as I have tried it multiple times in multiple variations. I have taken a photo of my OpenFirmware list, with both commands being run ("dev / ls" and "devalias"), so I was wondering if anyone knows the proper command I should run to boot into it. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/fC31S

1st image is "dev / ls" and 2nd image is "devalias" (Imgur)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Booting from USB on PowerMac G5 through OpenFirmware

Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Almost always I needed to use the OF command probe-usb before my USB devices were detected. That would be my guess based on your dev / ls. You have the devalias ud listed so you could try boot ud:2,\\yaboot

EDIT: on a second look you have a disk listed in your dev / ls so forget the probe-usb and just use the ud devalias
    Last edited by rsavage; July 14th, 2017 at 01:14 PM.

Beans

Thank you for your quick reply! It worked and I got into Ubuntu using the flag "live nouveau.noaccel=1" the first time, and realised I had to research something before going ahead with the install.

I did my research and decided to go ahead with the install, except this time it didn't work, and now I just see a mouse pointer on a black screen. Not sure why it didn't work the second time. I even remade the USB but still no luck. If you know of anything, please do let me know. Specs below:

Nvidia Geforce 6600 (256mb ram)
    Specs: 2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM
    PowerPC G5 2.7Ghz (2 cores)

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Btw, did you try holding down the option key on start up with the USB drive? That should of worked on your machine.

Black screen - this is on an installed system? Sounds like an old lightdm problem with 8 bit colour. Nouveau probably not working and falling back to fbdev/offb. Mistype on boot parameter?

Beans

I Tried and it didn't work, but OpenFirmware is easy so include fine with using that instead.
    For the black screen with a mouse pointer, I haven't installed Ubuntu Mate yet, but I'm getting this black screen when trying to boot into the live USB. I tried the flag above and even the one suggested (I think it's "video=ofonly" or something) but they don't work.