Thread: Installing an application without internet connectivity

Beans

Installing an application without internet connectivity

So I came on here earlier asking about installing Ubuntu on a separate partition on my laptop's SSD. Since it has built-in wireless connectivity it makes application installing really easy with just sudo apt-get install.
    However, I have four other machines I've scavenged and plan on networking all together. These ones however I do not want to have wireless adapters, for security reasons. However, without wifi, I'm having a hard time getting my apps over.
    Starting with Unity Tweak Tools, I downloaded the tar.gz file, extracted it, and transfered it over to my other machine's hard drive. I tried just sudo install as well as make and others, but I just keeping getting errors messages like "nothing to be done, stop".
    Is there a terminal command to compile and install the application with all of the files I have?
    I do see a file that simply says "unity-tweak-tool" with no extension, and I wonder if that's a binary file I can just move to a /bin or /sbin directory, but attempting that and then running the command in the terminal didn't even give me an error message, just nothing happened.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by petrusski; July 5th, 2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installing an application without internet connectivity

Install the programs on your internet-connected device. That will download some .deb files. You could copy them onto a USB stick, and move them to the disconnected devices.

If a .deb is available, it's a lot easier to use than a .tar.gz

I don't understand why you are blocking devices running Ubuntu from the Internet. If you are behind a router, the chance of a problem is minuscule.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you're nervous about wireless, use the strongest security mode available on your WiFi setup, avoiding WEP like the plague where you can.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by petrusski View Post
    These ones however I do not want to have wireless adapters, for security reasons. However, without wifi, I'm having a hard time getting my apps over.
    Not having wireless adaptors is not the same as not having Internet access.

If you are determined that these computers should be networked together and should not have a route to the Internet, the appropriate tool for what you're trying to achieve is apt-mirror, or apt-cacher if you only want those applications that are installed on the Internet-enabled machine to be available to the others.
    None but ourselves can free our minds