Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Partitioning Question

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Partitioning Question

Hello everyone, So I have fedora 25 installed on one of my machines, what I'm trying to do is free up some space for another os

I tried using Gparted but I'm unable to make any unallocated space what I'm I doing wrong?

Each time I try everything is grayed out and can not use the resize option

I'm aware I have to unmount the current os in order to create a new unallocated partition, but for some reason it's not working

Thanks for any help with this
    Last edited by RobGoss; June 29th, 2017 at 06:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Partitioning Question

Hello!

If you did a default installation, Fedora uses LVM. That makes using something like Gparted a bit dicey ... well, nigh impossible.

This has some good info specific to Fedora.

Cheers!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes I noticed the Fedora partition was LVM, I'm not use to working with them. The link you posted is that a tool to Handel the LVM partitions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

LVM management tasks. See "Editing a Logical Volume" specifically.

That particular link is in the Fedora 14 tab, but that is the most recent I see. LVM has been pretty static, so like using gparted the tools should be the same.

Too busy right now, but I can find some more info on how to do it via the terminal later.

Edit -- Ah. Always trust Arch to have the answers when it comes to using the command line!
    Last edited by QIII; June 29th, 2017 at 07:10 PM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks Qlll I'll get it all sorted out
    Last edited by RobGoss; June 29th, 2017 at 07:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ask all the questions you need to. Arch's documentation is often so thorough that it makes you dizzy!

Beans

If Fedora is on an LVM partition, then may be room on the same partition for your new OS as well as an LVM install, provided it's installer is LVM aware (Ubuntu is). No need to resize anything. Run the command sudo vgdisplay in the Fedora terminal to see available space.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Derp. Got so tied up in "resize LVM" that I didn't consider that if one does manual partitioning a new volume can be created.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    If Fedora is on an LVM partition, then may be room on the same partition for your new OS as well as an LVM install, provided it's installer is LVM aware (Ubuntu is). No need to resize anything. Run the command sudo vgdisplay in the Fedora terminal to see available space.
    There's only one os on this machine and that's Fedora, and yes the partition is LVM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    There's only one os on this machine and that's Fedora, and yes the partition is LVM
    So, do you want to stick with LVM and install the new OS as LVM? If so, that will depend on what the new OS is (some installers won't install to LVM), and how much space you have. Run sudo vgdisplay in terminal to find free space. If there is free space, you don't need to resize anything. Ubuntu will install to an LVM logical volume.

If you don't want LVM, then you do have to resize Fedora and the partition itself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast