Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot correctly into Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Exclamation Can't boot correctly into Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Alright guys. I am running Ubuntu on an old rig. I literally fell down four stairs going into the basement, where I live. Okay, okay, get the laughs out! Haha. Anyhow, I am using an old bulky Gateway EV700 monitor, and an old tower in which is called HP 110-243w Desktop PC. If you need the specs on this tower, here is the link. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04108287/

i managed to install Ubuntu using a USB flash drive, however it does not boot up. It keeps saying no Operating System installed on this hard drive. So, I had to reboot with USB, I then at the menu pressed the "c" or "e" key, in which brought me to the grub menu. I managed to look up a solution on my phone and got it to boot up. The problem is, if I shut down the computer, it will then repeat the process, and I have to go through all that hassle every single time I want to boot up my computer. Is there ANY other solutions to fix this permanently? As a side note. the wifi is terrible on here,even with a wifi adapter. It says it takes an hour just to download th Google Chrome browser, so I am using the default one in which is Mozilla Firefox.

I have attached three screen shots using my phone. The first two screen shots, are what I did to at least manage to boot into Ubuntu. The last one is just the process. After that picture I took of th third one, I booted up and went to Terminal right away and typed in update-grub. Here is what I got back...Now I am completely lost and not sure how to fix this. It also seems like I can't connect to my wifi adapter and I don't see it in the network settings.

Error of update-grub:
    Code:
    oneofour@Luc1fur:~$ sudo -i
    [sudo] password for oneofour: 
    root@Luc1fur:~# update-grub
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0-36-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.8.0-36-generic
    Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
    done
    P.S:The third image was taking way too long to upload, the ones in the attachments are really what is needed. it is the process in which I did until you get to the error in the update-grub. I want to thank this wonderful community for helping one another on the issues that they're having, and that is a main factor in which I chose Ubuntu. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QIII; June 27th, 2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Family-friendly language, standard font and color.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't boot correctly into Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

It seems possible that you've installed Ubuntu in UEFI mode, but your computer isn't set to boot in UEFI mode? That would probably show the symptoms you're seeing, and is where I would start looking.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Hmm. All I see is Legacy mode but I Enabled it and I moved Ubuntu to where it is first to boot, I save and reboot, does the same thing. I look into the BIOS again and it appears that the Ubuntu is moved back down the list as it was before for some odd reason.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1jarwolf View Post
    Hmm. All I see is Legacy mode but I Enabled it and I moved Ubuntu to where it is first to boot, I save and reboot, does the same thing. I look into the BIOS again and it appears that the Ubuntu is moved back down the list as it was before for some odd reason.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jarwolf View Post
    Code:
    Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
    done
    implies to me that GRUB thinks it's a UEFI install. For UEFI to work you need a FAT32 /boot partition, the OS to be installed UEFI-aware, and the BIOS to be booting the device in UEFI mode.

For non-UEFI ("Legacy") to work you need the BIOS to be booting the device in Legacy mode and a bootloader in the MBR of the device you're booting from.

It seems to me that you've got some things from one method and some things from the other method, which is why it isn't working. I'm afraid my experience in this area is limited, though.

Beans
    Distro

I tried . Worst comes to worst, I leave my PC on 24/7, or just reboot and do that coding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

External 65 watt power supply? A laptop in a tower case.

Do you still have Win8.1 (or Win10) on the PC trying to dual boot, or did you wipe that and using Ubuntu only? If trying to dual boot, you would need to leave it in UEFI mode. But if Ubuntu is the only OS, I would think you could switch UEFI to Legacy BIOS mode, repartition your 1 TB drive to msdos partitions instead of gpt, then try reinstalling.

But first, if Ubuntu was installed in UEFI mode and you switched UEFI to legacy BIOS mode, you might be able to get it to work by switching back to UEFI mode, tap Esc key while booting, and see if you can select ubuntu from the UEFI menu. Although, not sure if that would work if something got mixed up and put grub in the mbr of the drive.

I have an HP laptop with Win10, so I used Window's own Disk Management to shrink its partition and free up space for Ubuntu (and also disabled fast boot). When I first installed Ubuntu (in UEFI mode), it rebooted to grub, but since then it defaults booting into Win10. To get to Ubuntu I have to tap Esc key, then F9 I think, and once I select ubuntu in UEFI menu, it brings up the grub menu and I can get into Ubuntu. There is a way to change that, to have grub first in UEFI, but I have not tried that yet. I don't have any other computer with UEFI, my main PC is from 2010.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro

Okay. I installed Gparted, and here is how it shows. In the boot menu, Ubuntu or "Hard Drive" is under UEFI mode, however, it is saying it is installed on EFI (I do believe if I am reading it right.) Now, how would I go on at changing it without having to reinstalling Ubuntu again? I attached a screenshot of Gparted below. Also, in the code section, I wrote what I had to do in order to boot this system up.

Code:
    grub> ls
    (memdisk) (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd2)

Now, I did ls on each of these and it so happened that (hd1,gpt2) is the file that has the initrd and the file that starts with a v in it, so I went with that one.

grub> root=(hd1,gpt2)
    grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

*Ubuntu finally loads up in UEFI mode, I think...*
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

OK, so Ubuntu seems comfortable being in UEFI mode, and the partitions look right from your screenshot, so it should just be a case of booting it in UEFI mode. Exactly how to do it will depend on the settings that are available in your BIOS. You'll want to turn off Legacy mode in the BIOS, and you may need to change the hard drive entry too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That is an UEFI install.

But HP is not Ubuntu friendly.
    It modifies UEFI to boot only "Windows Boot Manager" by description. That also is a violation of UEFI spec to use description as part of boot.

But it does not check which file it actually uses to boot, just description. Since not dual booting Windows.
    We can make a new Windows boot entry that really uses grub or shim boot files, you can boot Ubuntu.

More details in link in my signature.
    See also
    man efibootmgr

If you have a Windows entry you may want to delete it to avoid confusion on which entry is really for booting Ubuntu. To see current entries and details on what it boots.
    sudo efibootmgr -v

d1: If Description has to be Windows then change UEFI description. Assumes ESP is sda1.
    sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi"

Most systems also allow boot of the fallback or hard drive entry at /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi. I normally copy shimx64.efi and rename to be that file.

Copy shimx64.efi to /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2247186
    Boot-Repair should automatically do copy file with 'use standard EFI file':
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/15017...-into-grub-efi
    Sony, HP & others:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/48675.../486789#486789
    Boot-Repair should automatically do copy file with 'use standard EFI file':
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/58207.../582114#582114
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

oneofour@Luc1fur:~$ sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi"
    ** Warning ** : Boot0000 has same label Windows Boot Manager
    BootCurrent: 0006
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0007,0000,0001,0002,0006,0003,0004,0005
    Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager[/CODE]
    Boot0001* USB Floppy/CD
    Boot0002* USB Hard Drive
    Boot0003* UEFI: IPv4 Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Boot0004* UEFI: IPv6 Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Boot0005 Fake Legacy Option
    Boot0006* UEFI: Lexar USB Flash Drive 1100
    Boot0007* Windows Boot Manager[\CODE]

For some reason, I can not find the /EFI folder in Files or on the Terminal. I'm a noob.
    Last edited by 1jarwolf; June 28th, 2017 at 11:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast