Thread: Speech to text [HELP NEEDED]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Speech to text [HELP NEEDED]

Hello, to start off, I wish to appologize upfront if this is a duplicate and or in the wrong place to post.

Alright, so I am wanting to get Speech to text for LibreOffice Writer so I don't have to type. I have googled, and googled, and googled and can't find any software, that is until I came across this link. http://www.brighthub.com/computing/l...les/55794.aspx

Alright, so I downloaded what they wanted me to download, the problem is... I am too new and I do NOT know how to actually install these.

The first picture below is the directory of the sphinxbase-5prealpha. I have no clue on how to install this or any of the commands to do so.

The second picture below is festival, in which I also do NOT know how to install, nor do I know the commands to do so as well.

One last image, which is the strangest out of them all, is perlbox-voice. I didn't even install the right one apprently and I can't seem to find the right version. I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
    Last edited by oldos2er; June 25th, 2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: images thumbnailed. default font restored

Beans

Re: Speech to text [HELP NEEDED]

First off, please be considerate to those on lower bandwidth connections and desist with the oversized images.

There is a readme file in your first and second screenshot, they usually contain installation instructions. Have you read them ? Also an install.sh file which would normally initiate the install process but peruse the readme file first.

As an aside, I'd caution you to be careful with tutorials as old as this one is.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    First off, please be considerate to those on lower bandwidth connections and desist with the oversized images.

There is a readme file in your first and second screenshot, they usually contain installation instructions. Have you read them ? Also an install.sh file which would normally initiate the install process but peruse the readme file first.

As an aside, I'd caution you to be careful with tutorials as old as this one is.
    I understand! I post the images how you fixed them. I appologize. Well, honestly, I am unsure how to install the files however, I will certainly read the readme files. May I ask if you know of any better ways as of software that does speech to text?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can install festival from the repositories, use you favourite method of installing it, synaptic,The Software Centre, or the command line

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just checking in synaptic, it seems festival is mostly about text to speech, but of course some components could help doing the reverse. Sphinx is in the repositories too. On 17.04 I find the package pocketsphinx, described as
    CMU Sphinx is a large vocabulary, speaker-independent continuous speech recognition engine.

This package contains end-user speech recognition tools.
    Not to be confused with python-sphinx, which is about producing documentation for Python projects.

I never used any of those, so I can't comment on their use or their usefulness.
    Last edited by Impavidus; June 27th, 2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Just checking in synaptic, it seems festival is mostly about text to speech, but of course some components could help doing the reverse. Sphinx is in the repositories too. On 17.04 I find the package pockedsphinx, described asNot to be confused with python-sphinx, which is about producing documentation for Python projects.

I never used any of those, so I can't comment on their use or their usefulness.
    Hmm. I understand. I am using 16.04 LTS. I will install synaptic and see if I can find it. Okay, I believe I have everything installed however, I can't seem to actually find the program and run it.
    Last edited by 1jarwolf; June 26th, 2017 at 04:51 PM.

Beans

They are both in 16.04 but but perhaps a typo above.. it is pocketsphinx not pockedsphinx as far as I can see.

Code:
    apt-cache policy festival
    festival:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1:2.4~release-2
      Version table:
         1:2.4~release-2 500
            500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
    Code:
    apt-cache policy pocketsphinx
    pocketsphinx:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 0.8.0+real5prealpha-1ubuntu2
      Version table:
         0.8.0+real5prealpha-1ubuntu2 500
            500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    ... but perhaps a typo above..
    You're right. Fixed it.