Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu from USB in legacy mode

Beans

Arrow Installing Ubuntu from USB in legacy mode

Hi everyone,

I'm working with a windows 10 laptop that has previously been installed with windows 7. I've checked my boot options and windows is currently booting in Legacy Mode, with UEFI and secure boot options turned off. The problem is when I try to load Ubuntu from the USB, the only option to load Ubuntu is through EFI.

And when I try to install it, I get the message:
    "This machine's firmware has started the installer in UEFI mode but it looks like there may be existing operating systems already installed using "BIOS compatibility mode". If you continue to install Debian in UEFI mode, it might be difficult to reboot the machine into any BIOS-mode operating systems later.

If you wish to install in UEFI mode and don't care about keeping the ability to boot one of the existing systems, you have the option to force that here. If you wish to keep the option to boot an existing operating system, you should choose NOT to force UEFI installation here.

As far as I can tell, the problem lies with windows booting in Legacy Mode and me loading Ubuntu in EFI. Is there anyway to load EFI in Legacy mode?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Installing Ubuntu from USB in legacy mode

to install Debian in UEFI mode, it might be difficult to reboot the machine into any BIOS-mode operating systems later.
    I'm a bit confused about this section of your post, you mention Debian, what version of Ubuntu are you trying to install or are you trying to install Debian? it has been my experience when installing Ubuntu on a system using UEFI, you need to install Ubuntu in UEFI, if this system is fairly new then it should be UEFI. On older systems that is Legacy / BIOS you should be able to DUAL boot if installed it legacy mode

If you install Ubuntu in UEFI and Windows is installed in BIOS you will not be able to choose between the two systems to boot your machine, you will have to access the BIOS and change the configurations to switch between each OS, if you don't really use Windows then it might not be a big deal as it was not for me at one point

Here's some good documentation on how to dual boot your system using UEFI

How to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

UEFI help
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Is this a fairly new machine?
    Last edited by RobGoss; June 26th, 2017 at 12:50 PM.

Beans

I'm actually really new to Linux systems, so I'm not sure what Debian is. I downloaded Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS and download/mount it onto a USB using Rufus.

I'm working on a DELL inpsiron 5737 that I got about 3 years ago. It came with a windows 7 and I upgraded it to windows 10. In the system information, it says that the BIOS mode is Legacy

I've checked out the Dual Boot documentation, but it doesn't really help

Beans

In the second paragraph of your initial post you mention "Debian" which is probably what RobGoss was referring to.

If you go to the Ubuntu documentation link, second link in his post, you will see that if you boot Ubuntu UEFI there is a black screen with white text. If Legacy, you should see purple screen as shown at that site. Booting in Legacy mode is something you will have to change in the BIOS of whatever laptop you are using. Methods vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and you haven't indicated what you are using.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm actually really new to Linux systems, so I'm not sure what Debian is
    Debian is another Linux operation system you can read about it here, https://www.debian.org/intro/about#what

The setup is much different then Ubuntu and for new users it can be problematic trying to install it that's why I ask what OS were you trying to install

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

But Ubuntu is based on Debian and sometimes you may see a reference to Debian that the developers forgot to change to Ubuntu. Rare, but not unheard of.

It should be possible to boot an Ubuntu live disk in legacy mode. Maybe it works if you use a different tool to make the live disk. There are several.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It should be possible to boot an Ubuntu live disk in legacy mode. Maybe it works if you use a different tool to make the live disk. There are several.
    Yes he can boot and install Ubuntu into Legacy mode along with Windows, I had that setup like that for sometime until I got tired of Windows

Beans

Yancek,

When I load Ubuntu, I got the black screen with white text and I'm aware that I'm loading it using UEFI. My question is how do I load and install it in Legacy mode?

I'm using a DELL INSPIRON 5737, windows 10 upgraded from windows 7 previously, if that helps

Rob Goss

What tool did you use to make the live disk? I used RUFUS, it would be great if you can recommend me the one that made yours work in Legacy
    Last edited by howefield; June 26th, 2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bernardlxy View Post
    Rob Goss

What tool did you use to make the live disk? I used RUFUS, it would be great if you can recommend me the one that made yours work in Legacy
    I have always used the Linux image writer, tool for all my USB drives, you are trying to dual boot correct?
    Last edited by RobGoss; June 26th, 2017 at 12:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

FWIW, my understanding is that if the installer is booted as a UEFI device, the installation will be done as an EFI install. If it's booted as a Legacy device, the installation is done as a Legacy install.

The mode that the installer is booted in is a BIOS option at boot time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast