Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Ubuntu from USB in legacy mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installing Ubuntu from USB in legacy mode

Yes, Yancek is on the right track. Many PC's have multi-layered hidden screens in the BIOS. For example, on Acer systems, one has to set up a Supervisor Password for the Firmware (BIOS and UEFI). Only when the Supervisor password is used upon next access to the BIOS (e.g., after the initial setup, you may have to re-access the BIOS but now using the Supervisor password). Then, more options are opened up for doing things like special one-time boot keys, and setting boot cycle to CSM Legacy mode.

95% are the odds Legacy boot is supported - - you just have to find out how. You may need to access the original owners or technicians manual PDF via the PC makers website. Keep looking . . .
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    Have you accessed your BIOS to see if Windows is in fact installed in Legacy / UEFI mode?

Capture.JPG

Yeah this is a screenshot of my system

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You probably need to explore the BIOS setup options a little more closely rather than the boot options. The Ubuntu iso should be able to boot either, it did when I booted to install and from what I remember it was the different settings in the BIOS which made the difference.

Thanks, I'll look more into that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123