Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu or Mint

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Ubuntu or Mint

As a Windows System Administrator - I am new to Linux. I am going to install it on my new XPS 13. (i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
    I have done some research and I am seeing Ubuntu and Mint getting thrown out there a lot. Which would you recommend I throw on here and why?

Thanks-

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Ubuntu or Mint

Hello and welcome to the forums, although this may be a hard question to answer in my opinion they both have great features, I run both on different machines and also dual boot. I think it would be a good idea to give them both a try and see how you like them

You can run the live installer and just browse the OS and see if it's something you might want as your only operation system, just as to try answer your question I do use Ubuntu as my main desktop for all my daily use and it works flawless for me. With the specs you have on that machine I'm sure you will also have a great experience with both

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clickster View Post
    ... - I am new to Linux. .... Which would you recommend I throw on here and why? ...
    This sort of question gets asked a lot.

The most objective answer is to try out as many distros as you like and choose the one you and your hardware (your and competence level) are most comfortable with.

Beans

Hey clickster,

Linux Mint or Ubuntu hmmm, I use them both and like them.

If coming from a Windows 7 or Windows XP environment I think Linux Mint is easier to migrate to as the GUI is more Windows like imo.

Where I attend Church we upgraded all of the Windows XP desktop computers to Linux Mint 18 Xfce 64 bit and all computers found printers and worked without problems OOTB.

Nobody seemed to have difficulty adapting to Linux Mint and are amazed at how well it is working.

The only cost was for memory increase to 4.0 GB of ram for six desktop computers plus the time it took for the voluntary services of myself and one other Church member.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro

I have Mint 18.1 installed as one of several OS installs. I don't care for Mint as much as Ubuntu-Gnome. I think for new users used to the traditional Windows UI, installing the Cinnamon desktop in addition to the default desktop seems to work as expected based on my limited usage. Or I guess one could install Ubuntu server then install the Cinnamon desktop plus other apps as required.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome. I would recommend you throw on what suits you best and to find out, you can download and burn the ISO of each, create either DVD or USB install media, boot from it and 'Try Ubuntu'. This will change nothing on your hard drive. This is a 'live' session running from the install media and allows you 'test drive' before you install.

It really comes down to what you're looking for, what you intend to do with your system and how you work. What do you normally do with your computer? With specs like that I imagine it is more that surfing the net, listening to music and checking email. Depending on what you're going to use it for, neither Ubuntu or Mint may be the correct fit. They are not the only two sheep in the paddock. There are many other 'flavours' in the official Ubuntu stable to dabble with or you can create a Fraken-hybrid to fit your purpose more specifically.

The flavours supported in the main support areas here are Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, UbuntuGnome, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Budgie and Ubuntu Kylin. They can all be run in a 'live' session so perhaps put away a weekend! I'm an Xubuntu fan myself and run that (Xubuntu-core actually) on all my machines, including my AV desktop with an i7, 16Gb RAM and an SSD. Flies.

* PS: If you are familiar with running virtual machines, then you can run the ISOs of each flavour as virtual machines and test them that way. Saves a lot of time.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 25th, 2017 at 04:09 PM.

Beans

Linux Mint has to be considered along with the desktop environment (which they call "editions" rather than "flavors").

I am somewhat familiar with their XFCE (mostly) and MATE editions. Both good and very stable.

XFCE operates pretty much the same as Xubuntu - a couple of differences that come to mind are the redesigned Mint package management system and the new X-apps that Mint developers have been introducing. Those are common features of all the editions, I think.

Should also mention that Mint editions are all LTS ( based on Ubuntu LTS releases) - 5 years support of each initial release i.e. 17, 18, etc - and there are periodic point releases.

And there is not a Mint edition corresponding to each Ubuntu flavor - so if you are planning to use Unity or GNOME desktop environment, there is no Mint edition providing those!
    Last edited by Dennis N; June 25th, 2017 at 05:05 PM.

Beans

I have done some research and I am seeing Ubuntu and Mint getting thrown out there a lot. Which would you recommend I throw on here and why?
    Ubuntu. Why? Because this is an Ubuntu forum.

If you really want to know what I think then I would recommend Xubuntu. I find all other desktop environments silly and why would you want a Mint version of Xubuntu when you can have the real one..

There I said it.

Beans

Antergos does it all and is a rolling release, easy to use and has all the DE's available in Pacma. You are always up to date with the latest linux. Easy to install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead with Ubuntu. The install was easy and so far I've had no issues at all. It even found my wifi adapter during the install - my previous try about 6 months ago didn't. That made this experience already much better than before. However, I am also more determined and interested this time around.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast