Thread: Unable to start OS after install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unable to start OS after install

I've tried to install many different distros. Most of them are debian/ubuntu based distros but I have even tried some Arch distros and I have the same problem. The Distros goes through the installation process without any problems or errors. When it is finished installing and I restart the system, I get this screen: http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...0/P1860084.jpg

I've never had trouble with Linux on this computer before so this seems really weird to me.
    Last edited by lisati; June 21st, 2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Replace large image with link

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unable to start OS after install

The first thing to check, and probably easiest, is that your BIOS/UEFI is set to boot from the HDD first. Failing that, there are one or two other things we can check.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Of course I set the bios to boot from the HDD first. I've been installing and trying Linux Os's for several years now and in the last 6 months or so I started getting this problem with most distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No ideas on this?

Beans

Anything interesting in your /etc/network/interfaces file ?

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well I can't run this command on any of the systems that I am having problems with because as the title says I can't log into the OS after installing it. That being said, Linux Mint is one of the very few that installed and allowed me to log in and use the OS. So I ran that command on my Linux Mint system and got this

Code:
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay, I've figured out what the problem is, I just don't understand what is causing it. The problem is that the usb is installing the system fine, it's just not flagging the HD to boot. So to get around this I have to install the OS, then reboot into the live CD, open gparted and flag the HD to boot. Then I can restart into the new system. I have tried making the usb with unetbootin, disks, startup disk creator, and image writer and I have the same results each time. The system is installed but the drive is not flagged to boot.