Thread: Laptop extremely hot on ubuntu / can't figure out how to install any utility

Beans

Laptop extremely hot on ubuntu / can't figure out how to install any utility

Hi guys,

I am on a Compaq nc8430, fairly old laptop from 2006 that is somehow still running strong.
    I used ubuntu 12.4 for a few years, then recently I tried to upgrade to 14.4 automatically but it failed in the middle.
    I ended up with an ubuntu that kinda worked but prompting error notifications.

So I did a clean install of Lubuntu 17.

Everything seems to work, but the laptop is always at max fan, it's so hot I'm afraid it might melt and despite all tutorials on using ltp and whatnot, I can't manage to install anything and I don't know how to make it run cooler.

Can anyone give me an idea? I'd love if I could have an utility to make the CPU run slower but all I've tried don't seem to want to be installed or maybe it's just me not being familiar enough.

Also the screen flickers a lot at almost all resolutions, besides 1280x720 for some reason [which is not correct for this screen].

Beans

Re: Laptop extremely hot on ubuntu / can't figure out how to install any utility

remove the keyboard and blow compressed air from the the exhaust fins to the inside of the laptop. All the dust will come off and your computer will run cool again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Laptop extremely hot on ubuntu / can't figure out how to install any utility

In addition to Leunam12's sound advice, . . . . . might be worth your time to reinstall a slightly different flavour of Ubuntu . . . . so, another option for an old system is Xubuntu but I would suggest to stay with the LTS version for the extended support. I like the additional flexibility of Xubuntu along with it being a very stable DE/distro.
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; June 19th, 2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: corrections
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

Leunam I did that before, is the only reason why this computer hasn't melted after all this years

Thanks Geoffrey, I'll try Xubuntu then and see how I find it. Xubuntu LTS. Any recommendation on which version? Should I roll back a bit maybe be less ambitious and go with 16 instead of 17?? The only reason I upgraded from my old, stable, 12 is that Youtube wouldn't work.

Beans
    Hidden!

Try Xubuntu 16.04 first and see if it works any better than Ubuntu.

It has been my choice for 5 years now, since gnome 2 disappeared, and I find it the best compromise between lightness and configurability available; you can make it behave and look almost however you want with relative ease.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Try Xubuntu 16.04 first and see if it works any better than Ubuntu.

It has been my choice for 5 years now, since gnome 2 disappeared, and I find it the best compromise between lightness and configurability available; you can make it behave and look almost however you want with relative ease.
    I'm on Xubuntu 16.04 right now.
    The fan is running slower, I just opened and cleaned the pc again but I'm afraid the lube on the fan dried up, cause now it's singing.
    It's like it's going "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa". And if it runs hotter it goes "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII". LIke some kind of soprano singer.

This aside, it runs even faster than lubuntu, you were right about that one, but sometimes when you turn it on the screen is dancing up and down extremely quickly, now and then, for a fraction of a second.
    Changing resolution a couple times seems to fix it. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

Trying to install TLP so maybe I can run the CPU slower but no success. Do you know of anything I can install easily to slow down my CPU a bit and make it run slower but cooler? I'd love that.

Beans

The heat will cause the solder on the video card to burn and it will eventually stop working (black screen of death or BSoD). I suggest you get a 2-fan laptop cooling pad and always use the computer with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by leunam12 View Post
    remove the keyboard and blow compressed air from the the exhaust fins to the inside of the laptop. All the dust will come off and your computer will run cool again.
    always preferred using a vacuum from the outside first, especially over "vent"s. if your concerned with sucking up keys then attach a cloth over the end with a rubber band...thats what most PC shops do as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I suggest getting right in there, and using a Q-Tip to clean the CPU fan.

Beans

Howdy,

If you cannot get the CPU scaling fixed, then you need to try a different distribution (Red Hat/Vanilla Debian/Slackware). Your laptop motherboard can fail due to the heat. I have lost a Toshiba laptop this way, before I could get the CPU throttling sorted.

BTW, you may be able to crank the clocks down in the BIOS.