Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to set up "Wake on LAN" for my server computer running Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS

Beans

How to set up "Wake on LAN" for my server computer running Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS

Hi Everyone

I have my home server now running for a little while (with the help of a lot of help from people on this forum, thanks for that) now. This computer is accessed from a number of other devices including mobile phones, tablet, and other laptops and PC's running Windows 64 bit OS. I was wondering if I might be able to setup "Wake On LAN" for this server computer as it becomes quite inconvenient to go downstairs every time to turn it on if its off - this is home environment and it hasn't got not server grade components in it and hence doesn't run 24/7 every day. It is turned off when no one is using it.

Can this be realized with relative ease or this is something that falls in the realm of the "geeks" and I shouldn't attempt it?

I am fairly new to Ubuntu and my knowledge on Ubuntu type coding is limited to what I need to run and maintain this server adequately - nothing particularly great. Hence, I might need a little more than high level assistance for a solution that you might propose.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to set up "Wake on LAN" for my server computer running Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 L

Beans

Re: How to set up "Wake on LAN" for my server computer running Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 L

Hi TheFu

Thanks for your response.

I did have a look at this one before I posted.

Just wondering if there is something a trifle more basic that this that I start with.

Best regards

Deepak

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

You first need to make sure if your mobo supports WOL or not. If it does, check bios to ensure that feature is enabled.
    That's all I had to do. It's connected to network over powerline adapter. I do run an old Dell Precision desktop with C2D cpu though. So, it being enterprise workstation supported WOL.
    I run Full Ubuntu Unity as well as xfce desktop on it.
    Use "fing" app on android to send WOL packet to it. Never had problem with it.
    I suggest you first try to do this without messing with any settings in the os (like I did). There is a good chance that you will get lucky.

Beans
    Distro

Checklist:
    * WoL enabled in BIOS
    * WoL settings installed on server (ethtool/interface file changes)
    * WoL client installed on any clients (only works on the LAN, not over the internet)
    * WoL clients configured with the network card MAC

Happiness.
    Pretty simple.

I use a perl script for my WoL client.
    Code:
    $ wake.pl 00:2A:5B:3C:2D:37

Beans

Wake on lan is actually really easy, and is almost always enabled in the BIOS of the machine you want to wake, especially if the network card is integrated.
    The hard part is going into the BIOS of the machine you want to wake, look around in the menus for something that sounds like WOL or Wake on LAN and enable it.

It can help to go google for the motherboard/computer manual and read that on how to enable Wake on lan.

The easy part is then finding a wake-on-lan client which works for you, input the mac address and watch the computer turn on. You may have to try a few before you find one which works. Many good suggestions in this thread.

Most machines with integrated network supports wake-on-lan nowadays.

Beans

Hi Everyone

I think I have quite far in that I have enable 'Wake on PCIE' in BIOS, installed 'ethtoo' and this is the output of the ifconfig -a command :-

Code:
    agarwaldvk@MyHomeServer:~$ sudo ifconfig -a
    [sudo] password for agarwaldvk:
    enp3s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr d8:50:e6:4e:71:42 
              inet addr:192.168.1.15  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::d242:4f67:5f57:a6b4/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:26857 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:22709 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:4051400 (4.0 MB)  TX bytes:7882550 (7.8 MB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:61641 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:61641 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
              RX bytes:77354411 (77.3 MB)  TX bytes:77354411 (77.3 MB)
    Does that mean that my mac address is the one starting with 'd8...'?

Now how do I test 'waking on lan' my Ubuntu server from one of my Windows PC either through wired connection or wifi over my home network - I don't know Perl. Is there a script or a command that I can write is VB Script etc.?

There is this software that I found called 'WakeMeOnLan' - will that do it - this apparently only works with wired connections, not wireless over the network?

Best regards

Deepak
    Last edited by agarwaldvk; June 21st, 2017 at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

WOL should work for either connection wifi or wired. You don't need to know to any programming.

I don't use Windows, but this is a screenshot of the app I use:

Beans

Hi Cariboo

That is OK. I want to do just that. You use the application 'gWakeOnLan' from another Ubuntu or Linux based computer, right? So, you must be logged on to a Ubuntu or Linux based computer and are then using this software to send out this magic packet to wake another computer on the network, yeah?

And that's exactly what I am asking - what application can I use to wake this Ubuntu computer (which acts as my server computer on my home network) from another windows PC. The sever computer is the only Ubuntu computer I have at home. All the other conputers are Windows based. So how do I send the magic packet to my Ubuntu Server to 'wake it up on LAN' - it obviously is asleep at the moment.

I now know that you don't use Windows but do you know what application can I use from a windows PC to send this magic packet or wol command to the Ubuntu computer?

Best regards

Deepak

Beans
    Distro

You can use any WoL client that you want. For Ubuntu, search in the software center. For android, search the play store. For Windows, search however you would normally search.

The protocol is standard, so any application (or tiny script) can do it. You don't need any specific application, any WoL will work. You could have tried 20 already and had this working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast