Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity 7 without Gnome shell in 17.10

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Unity 7 without Gnome shell in 17.10

Yesterday, I installed Unity 7 and uninstalled the gnome-shell with its dependencies and rebooted into Unity DE or Unity Session. Some of my comments are here on how it works, https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....3847&page=6#51 (I don't want to trouble that thread.)
    I shall be working the whole day in this Unity 7 Ubuntu 17.10. The day before, I used Ubuntu 17.04 for work after so many months of using only Ubuntu+Openbox, and I liked the experience, so trying to use only Unity 7 in 17.10. Already 5 hours had gone and without any hitches. It looks like Unity 7 can live in Ubuntu longer.

BTW, I saw a very interesting news at OMG Ubuntu on Ubuntu Mate 17.10 Alpha 2. Ubuntu Mate can look like Unity without the hassle of adding various extensions to Gnome-shell. It has HUD and Global menu. Those, who had been used to these features would move to Mate. Why not?

Anyway, I'm going to use Ubuntu Unity 17.10 for work for next few weeks. It maybe the last (real) Ubuntu Unity released. Maybe, Unity will be there in 18.04 and further.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Unity 7 without Gnome shell in 17.10

I'm going to give this a try on a test box.

Regards..

Beans

Gnome-shell wasn't there for so long, Ubuntu can do without it. Or have the normal derivative. Who needs a full screen menu? Even, on a 14" laptop, that looks bad, how about on a 21" screen!

Unity's workspaces are better organised than gnome-shell's. Too many moves from one end to the other in gnome.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post

Unity's workspaces are better organised than gnome-shell's. Too many moves from one end to the other in gnome.
    Absolutely. Thats been the main argument between the 2 DEs.

Just in retrospect; I was a GNOME user before I was a Unity user. I was very vocal in my opposition to unity during natty narwhal. However, I decided to support it and it grew on me. It was such an effeverscent experience with compiz working fully. i also *dilligently* tested and experimented with wayland/weston. I was an early adopter and many of us here at U+1 gave it a whirl. Weston compositor was really tough testing back in those days as well as wayland. Unity had this left-justified panel that seemed to be the logical way to go. Seriously LESS keystrokes indeed. It made mousing a breeze.

I am seeing tremendous improvements to gnome/wayland but it will take another 8 months to iron out the bugs. I am using it more and more . .because .. thats what we do here .. we test development cycle stuff. Unity is 'easy on my mind'. It is a smooth operator. I'll always have unity in my front shirt pocket.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can enable Static workspaces in the GNOME Tweaks app…

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post

Just in retrospect; I was a GNOME user before I was a Unity user.
    That was Gnome 2, not 3 with its full screen menu, I believe.

I am seeing tremendous improvements to gnome/wayland but it will take another 8 months to iron out the bugs. I am using it more and more . .because .. thats what we do here .. we test development cycle stuff.
    I don't care too much about wayland. X is still good. I also don't care much about testing Gnome-shell. I like to test what's Ubuntu, not what's Fedora. Lubuntu and Xubuntu are just good, nothing to test so much as they really work. They never give a hard time for the user. I haven't played with Ubuntu Mate, but now I will. I always liked the old Gnome 2.

Regards!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    You can enable Static workspaces in the GNOME Tweaks app…
    In Unity, you can do that without any extra tweaks app...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    That was Gnome 2, not 3 with its full screen menu, I believe.
    Yes.

I don't care too much about wayland. X is still good. I also don't care much about testing Gnome-shell. I like to test what's Ubuntu, not what's Fedora. Lubuntu and Xubuntu are just good, nothing to test so much as they really work. They never give a hard time for the user.
    Point well taken.

I haven't played with Ubuntu Mate, but now I will. I always liked the old Gnome 2.
    Regards!
    It is slower than most (imo).

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    It is slower than most (imo).

Regards..
    Sadly it has become that way,
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Sadly it has become that way,
    Sorry to say .. but even on ssd drives.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast