Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: call for unity7 testing, maintainers

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: call for unity7 testing, maintainers

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    This would take a lot of work and resource and persons who have knowledge of and who had originally designed unity and mir.
    If you look in /usr/bin/unity, you'd see who authored Unity. I don't think its in his heart to push Unity away 100%.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    If you look in /usr/bin/unity, you'd see who authored Unity. I don't think its in his heart to push Unity away 100%.
    Thanks for the point!
    Regards..

Beans
    Distro

@testers, unity7maintainers,

ventrical
    There is another fly in the ointment. Ubuntu Development Version Testing forum only deals with current distributions/flavors that are in current development so this might mean that someone may petition to have any thread mentioning unity7 in UDV removed. so we might need a special exemption in fairness to the other flavors being tested.
    OK. Got word that there should not be a problem with continuance of unity7 testing in the UDV ubuntuforums during 18.04. Some of the developers at Canonical are linked into this and other threads at UDV so I think this is great news but we have try and be fair whilst testing other flavors and doing time shares.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

That'll be me not bothering with this sub-forum then - pretty much pointless.

What people coming here to see what's up with official development versions will think when they see half a dozen people rabbiting on about a dead de I don't know.

Shame to see this place come to this. Just glad I'm not Elfy anymore - because if I was you'd not be getting away with it.

On the other hand I do wonder why you weren't all desperately trying to keep gnome2 going when Unity happened.

Change happens - deal with it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flocculant View Post

On the other hand I do wonder why you weren't all desperately trying to keep gnome2 going when Unity happened.
    But I was!! I raved on about Maverick Meerekat, testimonial after testimonial and then they removed the testimonial thread. And I raved on about xubuntu and tested and tested. It's in the record. It's in the knowledge base. So now I am boosting unity7 and nobody will be able to say "nobody cared" about unity7, or at least nobody will be able to say I didn't care. if nobody else cares, well, thats not mine to worry about. It just sets a bad example to noobs what community spirit is all about.

Regards..

Beans

With everyone saying something bad, I'd like to say something good -- my Ubuntu Unity install is doing quite well. Just upgraded few minutes ago. Apt asked, if I want to change to system maintainer's version for issue, issue.net and lsb-release, I said no. Nothing got broken. Just 2 days to go for the final release. Hope the default Ubuntu would come out well.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    With everyone saying something bad, I'd like to say something good -- my Ubuntu Unity install is doing quite well. Just upgraded few minutes ago. Apt asked, if I want to change to system maintainer's version for issue, issue.net and lsb-release, I said no. Nothing got broken. Just 2 days to go for the final release. Hope the default Ubuntu would come out well.
    Iv'e been saying something good about unity since natty narwhal. Hope I'm not included in "everyone".

If you mean my reply to this:

Flocculant wrote:
    What people coming here to see what's up with official development versions will think when they see half a dozen people rabbiting on about a dead de I don't know.

Shame to see this place come to this. Just glad I'm not Elfy anymore - because if I was you'd not be getting away with it.

-it was to set the record straight. That the documentation proves otherwise. Also there are others who share the same sentiments as former council member Elfy, so you see that there is a lot of opposition to unity continuance/development. I don't have to rehash that point. The current admins say it's ok to continue.

As for my unity installs, I am having varied success. From the homemade spins to current installs. I am only noticing that there is no notification when you eject a USB using the side panel. Otherwise it is working just fine here. Works best on lightdm here.

I too hope default Ubuntu will come out swell. Just remember .. if it does come out well it is because we tested it well !

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    For me, this has been the best dev cycle ever. You guys are awesome. Re-installs, dead wifi, no vbox, pointless kernels. Who could ask for more? I'm ready for the next evolution.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    For me, this has been the best dev cycle ever. You guys are awesome. Re-installs, dead wifi, no vbox, pointless kernels. Who could ask for more? I'm ready for the next evolution.
    I think I downloaded the Lion's share of ISOs this cycle. It's been a real experience with gdm3 and nVidia and wayland. Some real true breakage, but, this is good because from all of this brokenness we are filling the crucible with the bits and pieces left over from our testing the bare metal and certainly we will hammer this into gold like we did unity and the other flavors during previous cycles.

If I am correct .. I really take your comments as a compliment towards the whole testing team and, I must say, that it is a must needed shot in the arm and we need this so that we can steel ourselves for the next cycle. And I also want to thank everybody, the good , the bad and the ugly, from largest to smallest for all of your priceless volunteer contributions, especially to this thread. We were able to raise unity from the ashes like the proverbial phoenix for another season. It will be there for those who may need assistive technology into the roaring 20, 20s whilst we hone and tweak the new gnome3 .

Thanks

Regards..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Iv'e been saying something good about unity since natty narwhal. Hope I'm not included in "everyone".
    Of course, you are!
    And mc4man and others, who found something good.
    Because of you I got interested in Unity again. Mc4man helped me to get Unity installed clean without Gnome-shell stuff. I also found that I can make a live installable pure Unity iso without installing it. I used to create isos from installed ones before using a modified remastersys script. But, after the call to help creating a unity distro, I found the most simple way, also from a Ubuntu wiki. The result was Unity7N.iso, still in development branch - the Ubuntu release that didn't happen.

I think whether or not Unity 7 and Gnome-shell might trouble each other, Unity 7 should be kept in the repos. 1) Gnome works on Wayland, so not a problem for Unity 7 that works on Xorg, vice versa 2) Unity had given the boost for Ubuntu's popularity. It brought in love and hate, but that hate made it even more popular.

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast